cluster mod gone wrong.

This is a discussion on cluster mod gone wrong. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i took my gauge cluster out to replace those ****ty bulbs with led lights, however, like an idiot i ...

cluster mod gone wrong.

so i took my gauge cluster out to replace those ****ty bulbs with led lights, however, like an idiot i took everything off even the needles and those round magnetic looking things that control the needles when i put it back together i couldnt get my spedo,tach temp or gas gauge to work. they don't even move. i know i threw something off but i litterer looked at everything to make sure it looked right and switched things around and still nothing, anyone have any sort of input as to what it might be? i don't really want to buy a new cluster if i don't have to.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    not real sure personally, but what year and is it wrx or sti?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Looked at your profile, and saw 2002.....according to this youtube how to video (about 3:05 in) 'if you move the needles even a little bit, ypu will have a broken cluster'

That is not to say it can't be fixed, but will likely be difficult and/or costly.

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it gets all screwed up if you mess with the needles because the magnets have to be on there just right. Cory Brown of Interior Flair told me he can fix them, but it's a pain in the ass.

i did the same thing and tried for weeks to get them to work and never could, just ordered a new cluster off ebay.

i did the same **** with my '00 2.5RS...i had to get a new cluster, but for my 04 WRX i just bought blue leds from superbrightleds.com and swapped them in (if you do this keep in mind that leds are diodes and only work in one direction, i had to untwist half of mine and turn them 180) theyre plenty bright and look suparu sweet! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	929.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	104185 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	931.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	104186

I Support ClubWRX
    If you need a new cluster for your '02 (and you probably will since you removed the needles), I have mine out of my '03 for sale. At least you'd have a known working cluster to install, and if you can fix the other one, then fantastic.

2003 WRX Speedometer
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson