Cheap Shift Knob - Any Feedback?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cheap Shift Knob - Any Feedback? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Pilot Automotive/Ball shift knob with color rings (PM-2274) | Shift Knobs | AutoZone.com This shift knob comes with 4 colors, ...

Banned

Cheap Shift Knob - Any Feedback?

Pilot Automotive/Ball shift knob with color rings (PM-2274) | Shift Knobs | AutoZone.com

This shift knob comes with 4 colors, and I really like the red that matches the interior lights, however.....I got one yesterday and it has adapters that fit over the OEM threaded shift knob. None of the black spacers provided (there are 4) are threaded so I (and according the the instructions) just find the spacer that fits, slip it over the white threaded OEM part, then put the shift knob over the fitting spacer. It has a very small threaded alan key bolt that tightens down from the side to hold the actual knob to the spacer, im just a bit confused how if not threaded, even after tightening the knob down to the correct spacer it wont start spinning in a short time due to no actual threads. The shift knob didnt seem to be very tight and the lack of any type of actual threads and screw on system leads me to believe the knowb would come loose and move around fairly easily? I returned it about 1 hour after the install, but am debating getting it again as maybe I did something wrong. I talked to the guy at the local auto zone and he has an 07 STi and says it should work just fine :/ - its universal so it says and fits 5-9/16th (thats what the diff spacers are for)

I know 99% of the time you get what you pay for but its just a nice round cheap shift knob with a red ring, just looking to spice up the car a bit without performance mods - not bad for only $19.99 ...IF it works..I know cobb knobs and such are really recommended but imo they are really pretty overpriced if I can just get one that works at autozone for 20 bucks

Feedback? TYIA

edit: O and I have the 2011 WRX Hatchback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Adapters? Get one that is threaded for your shift lever. Set screws will eventually be trouble.

Bad choice imo. You really do get what you pay for.

Can do no wrong here: http://www.lathewerks.com/shop/ Worth every $.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-22-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a shift knob. A chunk of metal or plastic molded or turned on a lathe. Anything over $20 is a gross waste of money. As long as you use the correct adapter, tighten it well and don't manhandle the shifter like an idiot and it will be fine.

Banned
    Eh see what I mean, im getting back and forth posts, at one time I lean toward the Cobb Knob and at another I figure a knob is knob is a knob and no use spending almost $100 bucks on one

I really like the look and red ring of the autozone knob, and the price, but the lack of actual threads is making me weary....the size of the alan screw is microscopic and there is only one of them...I dont feel it may hold up in the long run :/ - bah im torn

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to got cheap, just surf craiglist until you find an OEM one. I found a used Subaru-MOMO shift knob for my bugeye for $20. It's well made (leather and aluminum), looks great, and is OEM, so it just screwed right on.

My advice? There's no need to spend $100+ (although the Latheworks knobs are exceptionally well-made), and I wouldn't cheap out.

The Cobb knob strikes a good balance here at $60, but that's the most I would personally consider spending on an accessory like this.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, spending more than $20 on a shif knob is a waist of funds.

Yes, I sent more than that on mine (Cobb Knob, $65). No, I don't regret it one bit.

I am sure most who got a Cobb, WC Lathe Werks, or other quality knob have not regretted it....unless they were torn between multiple and now want one of the other ones.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not think more than $20 is wasteful for a good shift knob. What's a tank of gas cost? How long does that last?

At the very least, get something of OEM quality that is threaded for the lever or just keep the OEM knob.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    going back to autozone and going to re-try the same shift knob, I was a bit rushed on first install and I think with some more patience it would work out ok. Also hell I may just remove the adapter once I feel it has a good fit and throw some superglue on there to fill the threads, everything lined up well but it just didnt seem all that tight when installed, most likely my error as im new at this stuff. Thanks for the responses so far!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I do not think more than $20 is wasteful for a good shift knob. What's a tank of gas cost? How long does that last?

At the very least, get something of OEM quality that is threaded for the lever or just keep the OEM knob.
    I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder. Some people think $3000 is too much for wheels when $800 do the same job and look just as good. Some people think $1200 exhaust is ridiculous when $400 exhaust will do the same job and look good. Some people think expensive designer clothing is stupid when you can buy good looking clothing for 1/10 of the cost. I'm one of those cheapskates. $100 for a chunk of metal that is turned on a lathe, drilled, tapped and polishes or anodized is crazy in my opinion. Some people like it though and I can respect that. If there was an alternative to gasoline that cost 1/5 of the price and worked just as well, you bet your ass I'll use it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder. Some people think $3000 is too much for wheels when $800 do the same job and look just as good. Some people think $1200 exhaust is ridiculous when $400 exhaust will do the same job and look good. Some people think expensive designer clothing is stupid when you can buy good looking clothing for 1/10 of the cost. I'm one of those cheapskates. $100 for a chunk of metal that is turned on a lathe, drilled, tapped and polishes or anodized is crazy in my opinion. Some people like it though and I can respect that. If there was an alternative to gasoline that cost 1/5 of the price and worked just as well, you bet your ass I'll use it.
    agreed, saving money is smart...., just bc something costs more it doesn'tClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ICW 17 Wheels.gif 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	102691 make it better across the board. I can go to the local rim shop and get a $1600 set of wheels, or get the same exact set at wal mart for $418 dollars for all 4 mounted and balanced.

go look in the auto department by the batteries, $84 each plus tax and look just fine to me :/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trueX
    agreed, saving money is smart...., just bc something costs more it doesn't make it better across the board. I can go to the local rim shop and get a $1600 set of wheels, or get the same exact set at wal mart for $418 dollars for all 4 mounted and balanced.

go look in the auto department by the batteries, $84 each plus tax and look just fine to me :/
    If your inexpensive wheels weigh as much as expensive ones, this sentiment is true.

3-4 lbs/corner is noticeable.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If your inexpensive wheels weigh as much as expensive ones, this sentiment is true.

3-4 lbs/corner is noticeable.
    Maybe on a track. Regular driving? Hell no.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.