Leather shift and parking brake boots

This is a discussion on Leather shift and parking brake boots within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I actually installed these a few weeks ago. There was a thread I saw someone post here during the holidays ...

I Support ClubWRX

Leather shift and parking brake boots

I actually installed these a few weeks ago. There was a thread I saw someone post here during the holidays with a free shipping special on Shift boot store - RedlineGoods leather shift boots

I've never much liked the OEM vinyl or the even worse rubber slot the parking brake handle rode in. Call it an impulse buy. I hadn't modded anything in a few months, so this seemed perfect easy way to feed the never ending mod need. For $69 how could I go wrong?

The package arrived in 5 days via USPS from Poland - faster than I would have thought and the first bit of mail I've ever received from Europe. I was glad to see it was not some crap made in China. The leather and workmanship were top notch, with flawless precise stitching.

The installation instructions were not included, but available on the web site. They were mostly spot on with the exception of describing how to straighten out the small retaining rings. They suggested a hammer on the garage floor. In practice some simple pliers work was more than enough.

They suggest glue to fasten the shift boot to the plastic ring - I'd highly recommend this. I used Elmer's Craft Bond Spray Adhesive. The plastic pins are somewhat fragile - I managed to break one of the six for the shift boot.

One thing not mentioned was the need to remove excess leather on the inside at the top of the shift boot. The much thicker leather (versus the OEM vinyl) will not seat into the shift knob retaining ring without trimming the excess. Carefully trim away with some sharp scissors right before the stitching starts.

The brake boot pins are much thinner, so I took great care not to break any of these. This was the trickiest part of the install for me. Getting the spacing for the nine holes to line up correctly was difficult - I could have done better at this. It later occurred to me to use the OEM rubber piece as a template. I used a small drill bit to make the holes, rather than the punch (I did not have) or the sharp knife the instructions suggested.

The somewhat disappointing results are below. I ordered too high of a shift boot, and due to the less than perfect alignment of the pin holes, the brake boot looks somewhat stressed and uneven. It is still much nicer looking than the OEM vinyl and rubber pieces though.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i just recently got my shift boot from redline installed in my car. they look better than stock
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ