Garage door mod
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Garage door mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all. So I recently got tired of having my garage door opener in the front cubby hole so I ...

Garage door mod

Hey all. So I recently got tired of having my garage door opener in the front cubby hole so I decided to do something about it. I cant take all the credit as I did see a similar set up for switches over on nasioc.

Here goes. Where I kept my garage opener.

I took it apart and found the button. Then used a piece of wire to figure out which two connections opened the door.

I soldered two wires onto the switch.

Taped up the whole opener because I didn't plan on reusing the case so I didn't want any connections shorting.

Then I took the center console off. Two screws in the compartment and one under the ebrake boot.

Once I had the shifter trim piece off, I started to make a mounting bracket template with cardboard.

Did a test fit

And then converted to a piece of thin sheet metal.

Made the necessary bends.

I then drilled holes for the screw and the momentary switch and did a test fit.

Soldered the wires from the garage door opener too the switch.

Then I double side taped the garage door opener to the front off the shifter.

Here's a video demonstration.
    2012 WRX garage door opener modification - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

thats pretty sweet...very james bond
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    can we see some finished pics?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    this is very cool, very stealth

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    can we see some finished pics?
    There's a video at the end of my original post showing how it works. I can't really show you any "finished" pics because its completely unnoticeable with the console back together.

I made some changes today and this thing is awesome! Its much easier to get to now and I have the ability to add up too 2 more switches in the future. This is definitely very clean.

Heres some pics of the new mounting bracket.

Here is with everything back together. I pushed the boot around the button so it would be noticeable for the picture.

Heres another video demo
    2011 subaru wrx garage door opener modification - YouTube

Nice mod!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    For a long time I had my garage opener wired up to my high beams. So when I pulled into the driveway I could just flash my lights and the door would open. Then we got a new opener and I never redid it all
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    For a long time I had my garage opener wired up to my high beams. So when I pulled into the driveway I could just flash my lights and the door would open. Then we got a new opener and I never redid it all
    Thats actually kinda cool, i imagine your neighbors thought you must be some secret agent with lots of high tech gadgetry haha
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    lol probably. I think I may do that again. Isn't really difficult. Essentially its exactly what the OP did just instead of hooking the leads up to a button i ran them to my high beam + and -
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I'm a bit new to the forums as I just bought a 2004 wrx wagon. I was wondering if anybody has or has been thinking about using one of the blank button slots to use as a garage door opener.

I Support ClubWRX
    this is a cool mod, garrett wiring it to the high beams would be pretty sweet
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.