Anyone have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for opinions. Thanks....

Anyone have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995?

Looking for opinions.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK……maybe this is not a popular deck.

I was looking at double din HUs but the ones I was interested in don't have REAR aux. and usb inputs, have relatively low power, or have a hugh screen that screams "Steal me!". They have one or both on the front which means having a cable hanging down in front of the dash…..not the cleanest look.

I like the Kenwood for:

Relatively high RMS power 22w, rear usb AND aux. inputs, bluetooth and steering wheel control adaptable.

I am hoping to not need an amp (we'll see) and thought this HU with new speakers might just do the trick.

I would welcome any options that would have the features I need….under $400 or so.

Thanks

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Not sure if it meets all of your criteria but check out the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD 7" In-Dash Double-DIN DVD AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control, Pandora: Car Electronics
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Looks nice but screams steal me.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I will say, even with slightly tinted windows you can't even tell its in my dash looking in my windows.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I hope this may still be helpful, and I'm not reviving an old thread for naught.

I have this head unit in my Jeep, and will hopefully be moving into my WRX tomorrow.

My main complaint is that glare is a pretty big issue with it. During the day, I can only have the white or bright green background if I want the text to be visible at all. Other than that, it's great. I especially am looking forward to matching it's colors to the WRX, most likely red buttons with white screen, or vice-versa.

In my Jeep, I had the front speakers replaced with some mid-quality Kenwood 3-way speakers, and left the rear speakers stock. Two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp (600 watt maybe, can't recall off the top of my head) and the head unit controlled everything fine.

I find it's integration with my iPhone works really well. Nearly the same as the BlueTooth / Hands Free with the WRX (HOWEVER, it DOES NOT have bluetooth music streaming, I think it's successor KDC-x996 does though).
    2012 DGM Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by DJDeeJay View Post
    I hope this may still be helpful, and I'm not reviving an old thread for naught.

I have this head unit in my Jeep, and will hopefully be moving into my WRX tomorrow.

My main complaint is that glare is a pretty big issue with it. During the day, I can only have the white or bright green background if I want the text to be visible at all. Other than that, it's great. I especially am looking forward to matching it's colors to the WRX, most likely red buttons with white screen, or vice-versa.

In my Jeep, I had the front speakers replaced with some mid-quality Kenwood 3-way speakers, and left the rear speakers stock. Two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp (600 watt maybe, can't recall off the top of my head) and the head unit controlled everything fine.

I find it's integration with my iPhone works really well. Nearly the same as the BlueTooth / Hands Free with the WRX (HOWEVER, it DOES NOT have bluetooth music streaming, I think it's successor KDC-x996 does though).

Thats funny, I have it in my Jeep as well. It is not bright enough to be seen in the sunlight. Has a bunch of colors to change it to but they are not bright. Hands free barely works but I have alot of road noise in my 06 Rubicon softtop. I have a droid bionic and it DOES stream bluetooth mp3's as well as pandora from android.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.