Need recommendations for Speakers & Amp

This is a discussion on Need recommendations for Speakers & Amp within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2003 WRX Sedan Currently I have a Clarion CX400 stereo and Infinity speakers (rear). I really need new speakers for ...

Need recommendations for Speakers & Amp

2003 WRX Sedan

Currently I have a Clarion CX400 stereo and Infinity speakers (rear). I really need new speakers for the front and checking into amplifiers. I'm not looking for heavy bass, just clarity of my music (Metal, Alternative Rock and Jazz).

So with that in mind, would you all be able to recommend some good front speakers and a good amp?

I'm thinking of purchasing this amp:
    Amazon.com: MRP-F300 - Alpine 4-Channel 300 Watt V-Power Series Amplifier: Automotive

note: I've noticed even with my current setup, my front doors tend to vibrate and distort my music. Any helpful recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Budget?

Front speakers: 6.5" somponents. You'll need spacers, but they're cheap. Mount the tweeters either in the kick panels or the A-Pillars, not OE location (if the '03 has them). As for brand, it's a choice you need to make; create a disc with as wide a range of music as possible you'd be listening to and bring it to a car audio store or two. Listen to your disc on everything they have on display, and pick the set that sounds best to you. I have a set of Alpine Type-X, while someone may prefer Image Dynamics, and someone else may prefer JL Audio, etc. Sell your rear speakers if you need more money towards the fronts (they're just fill anyway, and don't do much for staging).

Amplifier: Buy the amp based on the RMS rating. My general rule is to cover the speakers (if the speakers are 75RMS, get an amplifier that will put out 75+). For a mild build, a 4-channel amp is what you want, as you can run channel 1/2 for the front speakers, then bridge 3/4 for a sub. Don't forget to factor in the cost of an amp wiring kit (~$50-75)

I know you mentioned not wanting heavy bass, but adding a 10" sub will help with SQ, as the speakers will no longer have to deal with bass, and will let them offer a cleaner mids/highs.

As for the vibration:
    RAAMmat BXT II - RAAMaudio Inc.
    Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick - RAAMaudio Inc.

Rick gave a pretty good overview of deadening an STI, but following his tips would work well for your car too:
    STI sound deadening, new tutorial - NASIOC

With purchasing car audio online, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer, or else any warranty claim may be denied. If you're looking for Alpine / JL stuff, Al & Eds are authorized and price match:
    http://www.al-eds.com/
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm a big fan of Alpine equipment personally.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I am now a big fan of Massive Audio.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.