Removing Interior Panel - HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Removing Interior Panel - HELP! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys and Gals, I wanted to know if someone can explain to me how to remove the interior panel ...

Removing Interior Panel - HELP!

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me how to remove the interior panel in the trunk area of a hatch. I have a 2011 hatch and need to remove the panel to see if I have access to the quarter panel to pop out a dent. Please let me know.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok so- this is tricky haha

put ur rear seats down

thers 2 pop rivets in the small windows, pop those off, theres a screw that is where the rear privacy pull thingie is, pop that off, u also need to grab a flathead and pop the airbag thingie in the c pillar off, then take the screw out of that. after that, just yank the corners and there are pop tabs that will slide out.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^ what he said.

The panel that covers the airbag screw is extremely thin,so careful taking it out.Use something plastic if you can.I use a trim removal tool to take off the panels & clips.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks guys! Do you know when you removed the interior trim that there was access to the bare metal of the quarter panel? I have a dent right below the small window that I need the PDR guy to have access to. He wants to drill into my door jamb (NO WAY).

Also if I break anything (clips, etc.) that can be replaced fairly easy right by going to the dealership? I've had horrible luck with anything plastic on cars
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes.you will have access to the car's body after you remove the panel.

Funny you should ask.I broke a clip yesterday & had to go to the dealership.They didn't have it in stock,but they have ordered it for me.And at $3 a piece it was a bargain.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Awesome! The fact that I can access that dent without having the guy drill a 3/8" - 1/4" into my door jamb with a tacky rubber cap on it is really reassuring. I will likely post again when I dig into the panels but thanks again guys!

Oh and Tony, got that Bayson R installed last weekend and it looks great. Kinda wish I got a CF for the look but the lip is worth its weight in gold. I'm likely going to take it off when it snows though since it will likely act like a snow plow lol.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

Here's the spot where I need to have access to..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damage 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	100885
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

hah- lips are full of win :P before i did the '11 swap, i had the STI v-lip installed .... well... one snow storm later, the bottom of the bumper cracked cus of it >.> so deff take it off for the winter. ive always 'winterized' my cars haha aka- take off all body kits/panels lol

gl w/ the dent fix bro get that blue beauty bak to perfection

Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan View Post
    gl w/ the dent fix bro get that blue beauty bak to perfection
    thanks dan! getting the car back to perfection is top priority right now lol. i've even considered taking a sick day to get this over with... which i might still do...
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

def worth a PTO day! unless ur manager isnt a car person.... tell em u have chronic diahrrea.. im sure he'll let u (or ur car :P) heal up

I Support ClubWRX
    I may have to take off my lip for the winter.I don't want to use it as a snow plow.

Also going to do something to reinforce the front bumper.Too much flex.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

So I took a look at those clips and I can already see myself breaking them haha. I have a question about the black plastic part of panel. After I remove the tan portion of the interior panel is there any specific directions for removing the larger piece? It looks like its connected to the left and right liner which kinda makes me nervous about the removal.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    You have to take off the tan part first.Thats because the tan portion sort of slides into the lower black trim.And when you put it back you have to install the lower portion first.

But you should have access to the portion you want to work on without taking off the lower trim.If you have to then you will have to remove the screws inside the hooks.

I do not remember exactly but I think there are 2.One is a round hook on the side.The other is a square pull out hook on the bottom for which you have to pop out a small cover & unscrew the hook.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Question

So no luck guys. Got the pillar off with no real problems but the area is not suitable for a PDR tool to get in there. The area is too thick with multiple layers so no luck the only way I see this getting fixed other than getting it into a professional shop and using body filler, is to fix the crease then glue pull. I guess when it takes off paint I can get it tuched up at a body shop.

But if it were to take off paint, maybe smaller than a dime, what should I do in the mean time to cover it so it doesn't rust? And if I were to do a DIY touch up, any helpful suggestions?
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB

2006 Honda CBR600RR

2001 Audi TT - Sold

if u just need to get it set for the winter, and depending how 'good' of a job u want... u could do one of a few things.... get touchup paint and paint it, or... get ready for this rofl- use some nail polish or clear coat nail polish. it'll last u through the winter, and real easy to get off. acetone will take it off no prob, plus if ur gna paint it in the spring, it'll be sanded down anyways. totally up to u bud.
    If at first you don't succeed, go into boost. If you cant go into boost... no panties will be harmed. much less be sent to the rear seats.

All else fails... put a disco roof in your car. E.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. loves going into a car to dance. Or... strobe them unconcious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.