Power supply for 2 gauges
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power supply for 2 gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I am going to be installing a boost gauge and a wideband, and I purchased the subtle solutions ashtray ...

Power supply for 2 gauges

So I am going to be installing a boost gauge and a wideband, and I purchased the subtle solutions ashtray face plate for 2 gauges. When wiring them in I read some people saying its fine to wire into the cig lighter, and then some saying I should go with the clock? Is wiring into the clock the more reliable way to go or will the cig lighter support them?

Thanks,
    -Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It depends on what wiring you need. Both clock and cig lighter provide ignition controlled power and illumination but the clock plug also has a constant battery wire.

so if you were to wire them into the clock, does that mean your clock would no longer be fed power and therefore be gone? Not to sound dumb but I really don't know much in terms of wiring/electrics and looking to install 2 gauges myself very soon. I do know though, that the gauges come with a daisy chain so that I only have to wire one gauge for power and then connect the two gauges.
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

If you're tapping into the power wire and it's still connected to the clock, the clock will work. I like the radio personally because it has ignition power, constant power, illumination, and ground in one harness and there's more space to work with
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Clock is the easiest. Its easy to get to as well (not that the lighter isn't...but I shocked the **** out of myself touching the lighter once and I try to avoid it )

Buy some thin gauge power wire from Radio Shack. They have all different colors. That is what I used when I did my gauges on my first STI. I found all the color wire that matched the wire on the gauges and the car. Helps keep you organized.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.