Inerior Panting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Inerior Panting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if any one has ever painted the interior of their car. All I want to do is ...

Inerior Panting

I was wondering if any one has ever painted the interior of their car. All I want to do

is make the tan pillar covers and the tan headliner match the black interior. I will

remove all those pieces from my car before painting. My concern is getting paint in

the cracks of the switches the paint drying and setting the switches and buttons in

one position. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20111106_152903.jpg   IMG_20111106_152935.jpg   IMG_20111106_153011.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Dismantle the switches, and tape everything off. If there is too much paint in the crack when you reassemble then an exacto knife should take care of it. It would also be a good idea to use an adhesion promoter prior to painting. I've seen lots of interior paint jobs chip and peel because either the surface wasn't prepped right, or the person failed to use an adhesion promoter.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 11-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think you'll be pleased with the outcome. It'll be tough to do. The plastic stuff may benefit from Plastidip instead of spray paint.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Plastidip spray comes out nice, great texture and everything.. but it scratches easily and peels right off. That's why adhesion promoter is a must.. although I've never seen how much it helps.

Right now I have Dupli-Color Plastic &Vinyl paint in a rattle can. The instructions say nothing about priming, but the adhesion promoter wouldn't hurt. And dismantling the switches sounds like a great idea. Thank you very much.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just came up with the same idea of painting my A pillars.Let us know how it goes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I will let you all know after I do it this weekend and I'll post pics.

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of painting/dyeing probably a month or two from now. Blacked out interior FTW.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasn't going to do any interior painting.I have asked for pricing on black STI A pillar trims from a dealer.The STI has all black interiors.Also looking into painting.

Thing is I'm going to be installing tweeters in the A pillars & they are black while the pillars are whitish.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i did this. i also redid my headliner. i'll post pics in about 20 mins.

while the pics are loading- you need to tape most of this stuff. I do not reccomend paint. plastidip is hit or miss. i used SEMS automotive coat. it comes in a near OEM color and does NOT peel. does NOT flake. yes it scratches, but not to the touch- u really gta smack into it. once u take the switches off, everything that u shouldnt paint- comes apart. so dont even worry. the main things u need to tape are the -/+ terminals on the lighting. everything else is pretty golden. for the center dome light- dont worry about anything sticking, its actually set apart. just keep the switch centered and ur golden.

Lightbulb

mmk- so the 'oh shyt' handles cant really be seen cus they blend in too well rofl- otherwise here u go lol

on a side note- if u click the pic to go into my album,.... u'll see my 08 -> 2011 widebody swap :X

here u go :P

actually- i lied- theres no hotlink on the pics rofl- so here u go

Pictures by dk344 - Photobucket

and yes- i did all this myself, i also wired the entire headliner, have a patent pending on the LED controller, and yes, there are kicker tweeters dremelled into the dash rofl. (pic 1 lol)

I Support ClubWRX
    it's like a limo.. without the stretch
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wow that inerior is really making me pant.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast