Wiring Driing lights using stock fog switch. Need some help.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wiring Driing lights using stock fog switch. Need some help. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All issues resolved. I didn't have good connections at the second switch. Now the switch illuminates and controls the lights ...

Wiring Driving lights using stock fog switch

All issues resolved. I didn't have good connections at the second switch. Now the switch illuminates and controls the lights properly. I also took apart the switch and removed the green film on the back of the little green bar. I painted over the little bar with a few thick coats of red glass stain. Now I have Green for fogs, red for driving lights and orange for cruise and it all looks just like factory from inside. Below is how I wired the switch

So I have had some driving lights on my car for a while now that have been wired to the 12v+ and the high beam switched ground from the head light harness. This is legal in CO but I would now prefer to be able to use a switch.

I used the supplied Hella harness and relay with an OEM fog light switch. I also used some extra 14 gauge wire in the same colors as the Hella harness for tapping the fog switch and bringing the relay to the switch.

I read on Nasioc (ABS on/off using factory fog switch - NASIOC post 5) that I could tap pins 2 and 4 on my existing fog switch and run those to pins 2 and 4 on the new switch to get the illumination feature to work. Pin 1 is a ground which as of right now is tapped to pin 1 on the original switch.

I ran the red wire (30 on relay) from Hella to the 12v+ terminal on the battery, The yellow wire from the 12v+ on the headlight to pin 3 on the new switch and then connected post 86 from the relay to pin 5 on the switch. I grounded post 85 to the dash bracket and ran post 87 out to the positive on the lights then grounded the lights to the High beam switched ground so they cannot be on without the high beams.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 10-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used the colors Hella did. Blue is ground, Red is 12v+,Yellow is 12v+ACC, Black is 12v+ to lights.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 10-05-2011 at 01:47 PM.

What issues were you having? Where's the previous thread so I can catch up?

No previous thread, the original post was edited. The issue was the lights not working with the OEM switch but they would work with a 3 pin rocker switch. The cause was bad connections.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.