Interior illumination installation questions??

This is a discussion on Interior illumination installation questions?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I recently purchased a red illumination kit and while my friend and i were trying to install it ...

Interior illumination installation questions??

Hey guys, I recently purchased a red illumination kit and while my friend and i were trying to install it we ran into a snag, so i wanted to see if anyone could offer me a hand before i end up taking apart my whole head unit to find the wires.

We were able to get the wiring harness to both the driver side and the passenger side but ran into an issue while trying to connect the harness to the car in the center cubby. I removed the piece that illuminates the cubby and my friend did the rest from there but i think he pushed the one wire i need to connect part of the harness to back inside and i can not see it at the moment. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with this when you did it or if anyone could offer any assistance on finding the missing wire. I can take pictures and try to explain it a little better if i didnt do a good enough job this time lol. Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks!
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not done this yet but there is this pictorial instructions for doing the mod.Subaru footwell illumination kit
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I knew i needed that wire to stay out there and not get tucked back in.. WIsh i had just don the install myself but let my friend who knows more about electrical stuff do that while i was installing his rally armor flaps guess ill just have to go fishing around in there untill i find that wire

thanks for the link!

I Just used a dc plug adapter with an on off switch and got my power from inside the arm rest, ran the wires right down the midle area to each side of the foot wells & spliced it out so I have front and back as well. They dont come on when the doors open but I only use them when running at night. The Red goes with the led of my Car dash.
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

After a few minutes of debating and some searching online I decided it best to remove the piece around the head unit and the trim above the glOve box. After I got that all off I was able to locate the wire I needed and if it wasn't for taking all that off there was no chance I could have gotten it. The thing was wedged up under something back there but I got it and plugged the new harness in now I can't wait for it to be dark out so I can see how the red looks!!
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

What did you think? I was going to install this, but I wasn't sure about having it be illuminated ALL THE TIME at night.. does it get obnoxious at all?

It's not really all that bright but it's a nice touch to have to go with all he othe red. The blue are a lot brighter but still I wouldn't say they are obnoxious. Overall great purchase and easy install as lOng as you don't lose the wire like I did lol
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

I don't know how bright your illumination kit was, but mine was pathetic. So I used that wiring harness and

used some red l.e.d. strips that I got off Ebay and stuck them under the dash and under the driver and

passenger seat to illuminate the rear floor and it turned out amazing. I ran wires from the front lights under the

carpet to the rear lights and gave myself enough slack to be able to move the seat forward and back if I need

to. Here is a link to my Facebook page with pics of my 08 WRX. Scroll down a little and you'll see the red floor

illumination kit that I made.

Facebook

Thats exactly what i was looking to do. Any chance you have a link to the led lights? and where by chance did you mount the ligths under the seats?
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

That what worked for me!! front dash and under the seats. I just hope the Ebay red lights hold up for a while. But it was a cheap cool mod
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

I Support ClubWRX
    I like my lighting kit now that it is in, but if you follow subarus directions.. Good luck..

Remove glove. Box, remove under column trim.
    Remove led by power accessory socket under radio.
    Run wiring from there to passenger/driver side.
    Plug harness in series with cubby hole led (under stereo area)
    Put glove box back together, install led per instructions
    Put under column cover back together, install led per instructions.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

^agreed Subarus instructions sucked kinda why I was stuck in a hard place with wires missing lol but I was able to locate them and get it all working... I am deff considering the eBay LEDs and rear illumination have seen it on a few cars and really like that little extra bit in the back
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

Quote Originally Posted by skudda33 View Post
    Thats exactly what i was looking to do. Any chance you have a link to the led lights? and where by chance did you mount the ligths under the seats?
    Below is a link to an Ebay light kit. It was the first thing that popped up when I typed "led light strip"

4 x 30cm/15LED Car Flexible Waterproof Lights Strip Red | eBay

They look decent and are waterproof/dust proof. And they are already wired and ready to hook up and attach with an adhesive backing. I attached mine under the dash below the

steering wheel and under the glove box. If you look under there you should see a flat surface to mount them. Just make sure to clean the plastic before applying them to help them stick

better. As for under the seats, just stick them to the bottom, rear of the driver ans passenger seat on the fabric. The stick pretty well.

Oh, and my Ebay lights have worked very well for about 10 months and show no sign of quitting.

Red mini leds

I have these in my WRX now - Vision X red LEDs. They are small, but give off a lot of light. They look great at night. I have 8 of them throughout the car. 3 of them in the foot panel on each the drivers and passengers side, and two in the middle air vents (drilled two tiny holes to run the wire through the vent so it the LED stood vertical. All wiring is on a switch I have in my center consoled so i control when they are on/off. Added in a red dome light as well. Still need to run two more LEDs to the remaining vents. Pics are of the vents and the drivers side foot panel.

Amazon.com: Vision X HIL-SLR Blue Red LED With 3 Foot Cord - Pack of 4: Automotive

Pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	101080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	101081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	101082