2011 WRX - Gauges
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, just read the Gauges FAQ and I was wondering if I could get your advice. Was looking at ...

2011 WRX - Gauges

Hey guys, just read the Gauges FAQ and I was wondering if I could get your advice.

Was looking at the SMY Clustermaker gauge pod and I think I'll be getting that, and I know a Boost gauge is a must, but in your opinions what other gauge is most important to have, for say a daily driver with a little bit of track/drag strip time and just spirited driving otherwise? Should I get Oil Pressure, EGT or perhaps a wideband AFR??

And I know some of you may say I don't need it yet, but my accessport should be here on Monday and hopefully I'll be getting a downpipe for christmas, just wondering, is the accessport very accurate in determining the AFR or is a wideband really necessary?

Appreciate all advice/feedback you may have to offer and for having patience for a newbie modded
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A wideband is def good to have especially if you are starting to modify.

Is it necessary, depends on the situation. If you're getting pro tuned with a wideband hooked up, then you know where you're at. If you're running cobb off the shelf tunes, you should be ok but its good to have.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Well yeah I'll be using Cobbs ots maps for now, dnot think there's anyone even in my province to do a protune, an E-Tune would be the best i could get I think, so would you think it's better for me to go wideband or just get an Oil Pressure? Or is EGT more important?

Build Thread Beloww:

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would say Wideband over getting an EGT or Oil Pressure gauge.

If you need a price on one, let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Alright thanks a lot man, and yeah def will let you know when I'm looking for one, how much would they be? And do you have any with red numbers/white needle, similar if not the same as the OEM gauges? Do you sell the SMY gauge pod too?

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    The front O2 sensor is not accurate for open-loop fueling; you need a wideband.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with Boost and OP in my SMY. I'm now wishing I went with wideband O2/AFR.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    I would say Wideband over getting an EGT or Oil Pressure gauge.

If you need a price on one, let me know.
    Hey man, was just wondering if I could get your advice. To be honest I was looking at these gauges on FastWRX.com because I will be getting the SMY Clustergauge from there, and was going to get both the Boost and AFR gauge at the same time to save on multiple shippings and whatnot.

Prosport Halo Series Gauges - Gauges

Just wondering, are those gauges 'compatible' with the Accessport?? I mean, like will the Accessport be able to read and log the data being shown and collected by those gauges?? Or will any gauge work?? Reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be getting a guy Clark Turner to E-Tune my car in the near future and I'm just trying to find out if these gauges will work for me and that I can log their data.

Thanks

Build Thread Beloww:

I went with the Prosport Oil pressure and boost gauges. I can post a picture when I get home if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Just wondering, are those gauges 'compatible' with the Accessport?? I mean, like will the Accessport be able to read and log the data being shown and collected by those gauges?? Or will any gauge work?? Reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be getting a guy Clark Turner to E-Tune my car in the near future and I'm just trying to find out if these gauges will work for me and that I can log their data.

Thanks
    Short answer...no.

The Accessport gathers data from the ECU so the gauges would be of no use there. There are things that the gauges do a better job of monitoring, AFR is one of them (if you have a wideband O2 sensor)
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Short answer...no.

The Accessport gathers data from the ECU so the gauges would be of no use there. There are things that the gauges do a better job of monitoring, AFR is one of them (if you have a wideband O2 sensor)
    Ahh ok, so if it were you, what two would you get? Like I said I know boost is a must, but what other one EGT, OP or a wideband AFR w/sensor would you get?

And since it reads off th ecu then does that mean that basically the gauges act only as a 'eyeball' guesstimate? There is no way to log their data with accessport at all? If there were a custom tune on the car in conjunction with the gauges, would the accessport still not work?

And if that's the case, and the gauges are purely just for the drivers monitoring/reassurance, what two would you get?

Turboman, that would be much appreciated man.

Thanks for the help guys!

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The front O2 sensor is not accurate for open-loop fueling; you need a wideband.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    +1
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Ahh ok, so if it were you, what two would you get? Like I said I know boost is a must, but what other one EGT, OP or a wideband AFR w/sensor would you get?

And since it reads off th ecu then does that mean that basically the gauges act only as a 'eyeball' guesstimate? There is no way to log their data with accessport at all? If there were a custom tune on the car in conjunction with the gauges, would the accessport still not work?

And if that's the case, and the gauges are purely just for the drivers monitoring/reassurance, what two would you get?

Turboman, that would be much appreciated man.

Thanks for the help guys!
    I have 3 gauges, boost, oil pressure, and oil temp. If I had to choose 2, boost and oil pressure.

I guess you can say that gauges are an "eyeball guesstimate", but they can provide valuable info while driving without having to log all the time.

There is no way to log using the gauges but the AP does a good job at monitoring almost everything. AFR is one of the few exceptions, without a wideband you cant get an accurate account of AFRs, but at stage 1 and even stage 2 it's not completely necessary, and as ong as the tune isn't super aggressive, you should be perfectly safe.
    Stink eye mob #727

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I have 3 gauges, boost, oil pressure, and oil temp. If I had to choose 2, boost and oil pressure.

I guess you can say that gauges are an "eyeball guesstimate", but they can provide valuable info while driving without having to log all the time.

There is no way to log using the gauges but the AP does a good job at monitoring almost everything. AFR is one of the few exceptions, without a wideband you cant get an accurate account of AFRs, but at stage 1 and even stage 2 it's not completely necessary, and as ong as the tune isn't super aggressive, you should be perfectly safe.
    Yeah stage 2 with an e-tune is probably the farthest I will go with my WRX, don't want to be putting too much strain on the transmission and whatnot, so do you think it would still be fairly 'safe' to go without the AFR?

Honestly I was kind of thinking along those same lines anyway, considering this is mostly a DD, that the OP gauge would be the most logical and useful choice since it is still important to monitor even when not driving aggressively.

What kind of gauges did you go with? And any chance of uploading a pic of your setup? Assuming you went with the A-pillar setup?

Just one last quick thought, is it possible to just install a wideband O2 sensor and then read the AFR from the Accessport? Or is that still not possible since it reads the data from the ecu?

Heres what I'm getting confused on. Obviously the stock ecu has parameters that the accessport reads off of correct?? If the car was tuned then, i.e the ecu was reflashed, wouldn't those parameters change? And therefore allow the AP to read the wider range of values supported by the new sensor or gauge??

I know this is a tangly post for you to read, but I'm just trying to understand how it actually works :P Even though I think I will end up going with the OP gauge as I think it makes the most sense.

THanks for your patience and advice guys!

Build Thread Beloww:

I have prosport gauges, not the greatest out therebut they've worked well for me. I've got my car interior apart right now (stereo install) so I woun't have any pics for a few days. I have the smy cluster with a single gauge holder mounted to the top of it.

When reading AFR, the AP or ECU isnt the problem, it's the oxygen sensor. It's a narrowband sensor so it has a limited range that it can detect. Secondly, any wideband AFR sensor has a dedicated gauge and I don't believe that the stock ECU can be wired to read a wideband.

As far as the e-tune, ask them... sometimes they will need a wideband to make accurate revisions, sometimes not.
    Stink eye mob #727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast