Shorter Shift Boot Needed?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shorter Shift Boot Needed? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased an '11 WRX, and all of them within ~200 mile radius had the SPT STS installed. While ...

Shorter Shift Boot Needed?

I just purchased an '11 WRX, and all of them within ~200 mile radius had the SPT STS installed. While I am thrilled with the car so far, I've decided that I want to get the TIC Super shift kit, a WC Lathe Werks shift knob, and the Redline Goods shift/e-brake boots. I know that the money Subaru was able to take from me for the SPT upgrade is money I'm now throwing away, but there's little I can do about that.

My question is if I will need a shorter shift boot from Redline Goods as I have the factory STS linkage and will have a Kartboy SS Lever installed. There is an option for I believe 1" and even 2" shorter boots, and I was hoping someone on the forum might know if the shorter boot would be the way to go.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Grabby; 09-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure if this helps but my factory STS in the '11 5-door I picked up uses the regular length redline shifter boot. Looks great IMHO.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

I Support ClubWRX
    You could just contact Redline and ask them.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I definitely intend to contact Redline on Monday. I'm fairly sure I'll need an inch or so shorter...

Well I purchased the shifter boot and e-brake boot from Redline and looks and feels great, I did order an inch shorter and am regarding it, even though I have the STS on WRX it came out short so I will be buying KB STS too knock off the inch and give me an even shorter throw. I've read in some forums about this combo and ppl seem to like it....

Quote Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
    Not sure if this helps but my factory STS in the '11 5-door I picked up uses the regular length redline shifter boot. Looks great IMHO.
    They told me the same thing with my 2008 Subaru brand STS for my WRX sedan.

Not sure if you guys have seen this site but I have had my steering wheel, arm rest and shifter boot done. They all look great and I also have the Cobb short shifter.

GR Impreza WRX & STI (2008-2011)

I Support ClubWRX
    If it makes you feel any better, you didn't really waste money on the SPT STS, even with buting the Kartboy STS. The SPT STS replaces the entire assembly, where th Kartboy and Cobb ones just replace the rod. I have the SPT + Cobb setup and love it. For more details, see this recent thread: Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?

I went with JPM Coachworks shifter and ebrake boot. I love the quality and fitment. The reason your boot was too short when you knocked an inch off: The SPT STS changes the distance of the throw, not the knob height. People confuse these quite a bit.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, you didn't really waste money on the SPT STS, even with buting the Kartboy STS. The SPT STS replaces the entire assembly, where th Kartboy and Cobb ones just replace the rod. I have the SPT + Cobb setup and love it. For more details, see this recent thread: Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?

I went with JPM Coachworks shifter and ebrake boot. I love the quality and fitment. The reason your boot was too short when you knocked an inch off: The SPT STS changes the distance of the throw, not the knob height. People confuse these quite a bit.
    So you said that you have the Subaru STS and the Cobb STS. Does the Cobb STS change the shifter height or the throw?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard View Post
    So you said that you have the Subaru STS and the Cobb STS. Does the Cobb STS change the shifter height or the throw?
    Both. CobbTuning.com - Double Adjustable Shifter
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

Well I went ahead and bought the KB short shifter and now it is perfect height with the 1in shorten redline boot. I was debating between the KB or Cobb so just went with KB(mainly because one less thing to fiddle with, Cobb i would of gone back and forth adjusting just because I could) , great feel with the SPT STS. Thx for the push Lokey!

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem, man. Others will confirm - I'm only here to help everyone spend money. :-)

Greg

Build Thread

Damn I am weak, just ordered the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankin View Post
    Well I went ahead and bought the KB short shifter and now it is perfect height with the 1in shorten redline boot. I was debating between the KB or Cobb so just went with KB(mainly because one less thing to fiddle with, Cobb i would of gone back and forth adjusting just because I could) , great feel with the SPT STS. Thx for the push Lokey!
    So you combined the Kartboy and the SPT STS? If so, do you have the link or part number for that Kartboy shifter? I like the SPT STS, bit if I can make the shifter throw even shorter that would be great. Did you also say that the Kartboy shifter lowered the shifter knob by an inch? I only ask so specifically because I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Here is the part # KAR KB-001-LEG, got it from Rally Sport Direct, it makes shifts shorted not by much since I couldn't compare from non SPT-STS but really like the feel now much crisper. It is an inch shorter which was what i was looking for since I bought the leather boots from Redline an inch shorter than stock and now it looks perfect.
    Only thing is that I'm not liking the stock knob now and thinking of getting one of those nice ones from WC Lathe Werks.
    WRX MY11 SSHB, SPT STS & KB STS,REDLINE BOOTS,KENWOOD KIV-BT901,HAT I61-2 as coaxial FRT, Dayton Audio RS180-4-7 rear, 8" Arc audio subwoofer 2ohm , powered by XDi805 Arc Audio.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.