gauge pods/location - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on gauge pods/location within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by shadowpr actually you can put gauges on the pillar. they sell mounts for it. the airbag won't ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    actually you can put gauges on the pillar. they sell mounts for it. the airbag won't interfere with anything.
    Sure about that? I really don't like the idea of having airbags behind my gauges...
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea, apparently the airbag is only in the top portion of the A pillar. SO a gauge down low won't interfere with it.

Besides, IMO, if you're ever in a situation where your pillar air bags go off, a gauge will be the least of my worries.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

thats the problem with the evoX but ppl said it wont b a problem..

I Support ClubWRX
    What people said would interest me much less than finding out what happened to those that wrecked. Did they get gauges through the brain? And even if the Lancer guys survived the gauges, that's not to say Imprezas will give the same results.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

From pictures I've seen, the airbag deploys from behind the A pillar and cover the driver's front window. The pillar remains in tact and in place, just pulls away from the car on the back side for the bag to pop.

08Subie's A-Pillar gauge pods!!! Perfect interior TAN color match!!!

Half way down page 1 is a photo of a deployed bag
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    OK it doesn't look that unreasonable then.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm still skeptical, but that's just me. Note: The car in the pic (that they use to show that the airbag does not affect the a-pillar) is not a WRX or STI. It also appears that the pillar did come off and was possibly pushed back in place.

Anyway, if you do go the A-Pillar route, please be careful and cognizant of the location of your wiring, etc as to not interfere with the airbag (something that could save for your life) just for a few cool looking gauges that you will probably rarely look at or find functional.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Another consideration (besides clock pod, SMY, single pod mounting) - Perrin Performance - Gauge Pod

Greg

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    I'm still skeptical, but that's just me. Note: The car in the pic (that they use to show that the airbag does not affect the a-pillar) is not a WRX or STI. It also appears that the pillar did come off and was possibly pushed back in place.
    Good call but it is a Subaru so I would think are using the same airbags. I wouldn't do a pillar setup (just not my cup of tea), but it seems to be a safe option
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Looks like Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay doesnt like my option, but thats fine. Looks like most other options look goofy besides the SMY. Your call your car. Good luck.

---Joe---

Figured i'd add an updated link to this thread....

A-Pillar Pods IM BACK!!! - 08Subiewrx / Sheabutter

Stopped making the pillar pods for a little while when I bought a house and didn't have as much time to work on them.... But i'm back at it now. And yes, the picture of the crash test is a base Impreza but the side airbags are an identical set-up to the Wrx/Sti.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12