Short Shifter Problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Shifter Problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Idk if this should have been posted under interior, or somewhere else since I couldn't find issues under drivetrain. But ...

Short Shifter Problem

Idk if this should have been posted under interior, or somewhere else since I couldn't find issues under drivetrain. But if needed please relocate thread.

Car: 2005 Subaru WRX (5 speed)

I bought the car in October with 59k miles. Recently I bought a Cobb double adjustable short shifter for 5 speed. Today, as I'm trying to install, I notice the previous owner had a kartboy short shifter. I want to install the Cobb to see the difference.

But an issue came up with the C-clip. I can't find it? Does the 5-speeds not have one?? I'm so confused and frustrated! Nobody seems to know. Here are pictures.

Someone save me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't think there is any c-clip. You just have to pound the ball into the holder.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    No C-clip needed, the ball just pops in and out of the retainer. Use plenty of lithium grease around the ball to keep shifts smooth, and help with install and removal. Use a rubber mallet if necessary to get the ball in there. I just leaned on it with all my weight and it popped right in.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Ok I'll give that a try. So pretty much I just need to yank the old shifter out??

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, you can lever the existing ball out of there pretty easily.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks! I was able to install it. The Cobb makes a difference! I love it, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Thanks! I was able to install it. The Cobb makes a difference! I love it, thanks for your help.
    So you prefer it to the Kartboy? Could you elaborate at all?

I'm just wondering because i've been looking at short shifters and had pretty much settled on the Kartboy, but if the Cobb is better in other people's opinions i might want to think about it.

Yes, please do elaborate. I'm interested in the Cobb and Kartboy short shifters too. What made the Cobb better?
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    Yes, please do elaborate. I'm interested in the Cobb and Kartboy short shifters too. What made the Cobb better?
    Adjustable (vs set by kartboy) throw length and shifter height. Works as named and advertised.
    Last edited by lokey; 11-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Like Lokey said, the Cobb is adjustable, the Kartboy is not. Both are well made and serve their purpose well, but the Cobb lets you fine tune shift throw and knob height. So, if you're like me and wanted a short throw, but not a shifter that's sunk down super low, you can adjust the height to suit you, while keeping the shifts as short as possible. It was well worth the extra money. I've had mine for more than a year now, and never had a single issue with it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Yeah I think I'd prefer the adjustable height too. I don't have very long arms so it would be nice. Going on the wishlist
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

Yeah, I'm thinking the Cobb as well now. Was never really a fan of the whole sunk in shifter but was willing to sacrifice for shorter throws, looks like i won't have to now.

Any of you running aftermarket bushings?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HowdyWRX View Post

Any of you running aftermarket bushings?
    Yes, and since there are a ton of topics and reviews on them on here, I'll just cut to the chase and say that you should too.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

How the hell did you just "pop" it out? that year, same as mine, the c-clip is under the car. you have to go under the car to do it

I Support ClubWRX
    there is a c-clip normally. The person that had his car before him and had installed the other shifter didn't put the c-clip back.

If you need to remove the c-clip, just get some c-clip pliers... cheap, and worth it. If you live in denver, I can let you borrow mine.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.