Short Shifter Problem - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Short Shifter Problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by tarheeln1 How the hell did you just "pop" it out? that year, same as mine, the c-clip ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeln1 View Post
    How the hell did you just "pop" it out? that year, same as mine, the c-clip is under the car. you have to go under the car to do it
    Were you referring to me? I 100% guarantee there was no C clip in my bugeye, and mine was stock when I swapped it. The instructions never indicated a C-clip either. I did the whole installation from inside the car.

Did they add the clip in later models? Seems unnecessary to me since the shifter linkage constrains the lever pretty well. I don't think I can pull the lever out of the socket with the linkage attached.

Sent from my CM7 Nook Color!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gotcha, I started on installing my Kartboy SS yesterday, then found out the c-clip is on the underside of the socket, found a video on youtube, and I am going to wait till saturday to do it, along with the bushing at my buddy's shop with a lift. The vid showed taking out the whole assembly, linkage and all, doesnt look to hard just have to get under car and take out a couple bolts. I'm in NC btw, lol thanks for offer on c-clips pliers, i got a pair though

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I did the whole installation from inside the car.
    Same here. I just did mine yesterday in my 2011. The 2011 DOES have a c-clip on top, but it was a 10min install in the parking lot of my local autozone (didn't have my own c-clip pliers).

Went with Torque Solutions. As far as I can tell it's identical to the Kartboy and was only $100.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    there is a c-clip normally. The person that had his car before him and had installed the other shifter didn't put the c-clip back.

If you need to remove the c-clip, just get some c-clip pliers... cheap, and worth it. If you live in denver, I can let you borrow mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Same here. I just did mine yesterday in my 2011. The 2011 DOES have a c-clip on top, but it was a 10min install in the parking lot of my local autozone (didn't have my own c-clip pliers).

Went with Torque Solutions. As far as I can tell it's identical to the Kartboy and was only $100.
    My STi had a C clip. I put it back in there to make sure the top o-ring doesn't pop loose or anything. Might help hold some grease in there as well. I figured it was there for a reason - even if it was to be a PITA and keep me from just pulling the shifter right out.

For what its worth, even with c-clip pliers, it was still a pain to get mine out. Q-tips or something will help you get most of the grease off of it first.

No idea what you guys mean by a c-clip on the other side of the socket though. The socket does have an o-ring on each side though, which likes to fall off fair easily considering the force needed to pop the socket in. I don't even think my shifter came out without that 'socket'. It pulled the whole plastic ring out with the two o-rings, and I put it back in that way as well.

EDIT: Should be able to see the c-clip in this one pretty clearly. If you want to look before you do the install, that album has a lot of fairly detailed pictures on my install. Most are put in my build log with captions if you look for '2011 Rawr'
    Last edited by Heide264; 12-10-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheeln1 View Post
    Gotcha, I started on installing my Kartboy SS yesterday, then found out the c-clip is on the underside of the socket, found a video on youtube, and I am going to wait till saturday to do it, along with the bushing at my buddy's shop with a lift. The vid showed taking out the whole assembly, linkage and all, doesnt look to hard just have to get under car and take out a couple bolts. I'm in NC btw, lol thanks for offer on c-clips pliers, i got a pair though
    That's what I did. Just did the whole assembly for the bushings. It was tough to get the linkage out. I didn't have any luck with the push pin, and it took a lot more force than expected to move the differential to the side enough to get the bolt out of the linkage. The upgrade was well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.