Pet Barrier for 2002 WRX Wagon

This is a discussion on Pet Barrier for 2002 WRX Wagon within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, My wife and I finally decided to take her dog off her parents' hands and permanently adopt her. ...

Pet Barrier for 2002 WRX Wagon

Hi all,

My wife and I finally decided to take her dog off her parents' hands and permanently adopt her. She is a Border Collie mix and a great, energetic dog. Being in the collie family she has tons of energy and loves to move around when going on car rides. I'm looking into cargo area separators or "pet barriers" and wanted to hear from anyone who has one what their thoughts on brands, fitment, price, etc are. I have a 2002 WRX wagon.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I just bought a cheap universal one from amazon,

Amazon.com: Highland 20045 Black Universal Pet Barrier: Automotive

I had it in my Land rover and it survived my very energetic 95lb German shepherd. I used bungee cords to help secure it the back of the headrests. And it held up up very well. not sure what the inside of a wagon is like, but this might work.

I didn't see the point in spending $100's on a custom one for the car, as i thought the dog would only destroy it, so i went for the cheap one and was pleasantly surprised that is survived everything thrown at it.

hope it helps

Thanks for the link, that looks like a great deal. I called my local pet store and they carry some that are about $10-15 more expensive, but I can look at first. Good to know that if a 95 lb German won't hurt it, my 30 lb Border Collie probably won't. Ha ha.
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

I just use a crate in the back seat of my sedan. It's safe, and my dog stays calm. As a bonus, it's really fast and easy to remove.

the dealership makes one. ull pay top dollar but you know it will fit right. oem parts FTW!!

I Support ClubWRX
    if you have a crate, and you can fit it in the car, then that is a great option, as mentioned before by shadowpr, it helps keep the dog calm, and more importantly keeps mess in the car to a minimum.

If you don't have a crate, they can be expensive (depends on size required) but depending on the age of the dog, they are worth their weight in gold. If you have pup or young dog, then a crate is a very good training tool, and if you have a busy house, then a crate can give the dog a safe environment to escape to when everything gets too much.

Did you ever come up with a nice pet barrier? My dalmation is carride insane and the old pet barrier i had in my P.O.S. jeep cherokee wont work in my '02 wagon because of the slant in the back of the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendowagon View Post
    Did you ever come up with a nice pet barrier? My dalmation is carride insane and the old pet barrier i had in my P.O.S. jeep cherokee wont work in my '02 wagon because of the slant in the back of the roof.
    I didn't buy anything but found that rasing the headrests works pretty good. The only problem is the hair and slobber on the back of the headrests! haha.

Nice wagon, btw. Did you lower it at all or is that still the stock suspension?

Oh ok Ya I already have been doing that trick. The headrests just get the grunt of the mess. I also go a squirt bottle to keep him in the back but now the dumb dog just bows its head and takes the water squirting him. HAHA

Thanks. I love it its the funnest to drive. Not lowered just 17 bbs. Just got my uppipe downpipe and cat-back in ups couple days ago.