LCD Display to replace dash clock?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on LCD Display to replace dash clock? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The little wheels in my brain are spinning furiously on this one, but I can't find a good place to ...

I Support ClubWRX

The little wheels in my brain are spinning furiously on this one, but I can't find a good place to start. I've seen some mods where people replaced the OEM clock with a digital display of some sort, and I'd like to do something similar.

I've really wanted to break into microcontrollers, so I'm thinking about using an arduino or similar with an LCD display to display various info.

After reading about Google's ADK, and that a standard Arduino can work with it, I think it would be awesome if a display could read song titles and patch through to my aftermarket stereo.

Basically I'm envisioning a display that only requires a mini-USB plug to my Android phone, and could read GPS data, songs, ????

Does this sound remotely interesting to anyone? My background is in mechanical engineering, but these microcontrollers fascinate me.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Interesting? VERY.

Over my head? VERY VERY.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

^ what he said

what he said.

Great Idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Interesting? VERY.

Over my head? VERY VERY.
    +1
    2008 WRX - Stink-Eye Mob #77
    Flickr | My Website | Blog

Very interesting! Good!

If you need new LCD AD Displayer, pls contact shining display ASAP!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm replacing mine with an ethanol content analyzer for running e85.. not exactly the same, but it's a LCD display.

Rambo you got any picks yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxjdm View Post
    Rambo you got any picks yet.
    Not yet, sorry. Someone bashed in the quarter panel of my car and I've been traveling a lot for work, so this has taken a back burner for a while. I do have a concept in mind using Google's ADK framework. Once I have the hardware, getting an Alpha stage demo going for what I want won't take very long.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'm going to school for a mechanical engineering degree. Im actually studying some stuff right now that could help you, unfortunately it's very early in the semester and we have yet to get to the good stuff. PLease keep this up to date. sounds awesome!

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, I have a ME degree, lol. I had forgotten about this thread. Should take a look again.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I like the idea and would be nice to see it going. I would for sure look into doing the same thing to my clock, I hate it haha. So a few mechanical engineers eh, that's cool. I myself am finishing my ME degree too.

i have a Computer Engineering degree i would choose a PIC 18F4550 micro controller and an LCD system from Digikey maybe around $100 for PCB board LCD a Real Time Clock and Oscilator you would also need about 10 or so 100nF caps for coupling. but easy enough. For power you could grab the DC power near by and use a 3.3V Regulator to power everything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by enpfeff View Post
    i have a Computer Engineering degree i would choose a PIC 18F4550 micro controller and an LCD system from Digikey maybe around $100 for PCB board LCD a Real Time Clock and Oscilator you would also need about 10 or so 100nF caps for coupling. but easy enough. For power you could grab the DC power near by and use a 3.3V Regulator to power everything.
    Solid plan, but for simplicity's sake, I would have gone with an Arduino board or similar, then used the existing serial libraries for the LCD. I can solder and understand basic electronics, but circuit design is out of my knowledge base. The Arduino mini, an LCD, and some PCB board could be sourced for less than $50.

My car has gone to the great rally in the sky, though, and my new one has digital gauges in the nav screen.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I have a CS degree and work as a systems engineer :P. My world involves micro controllers.

I think your arduino might be a solid choice (though I've never worked with it before). It seems nice and modular which is pretty cool. One thing I know from my experience is some micro controllers are pretty sensitive to power sources. I tend to condition the power source going to the board. But being how your power source is coming from a DC battery source, you might be fine? Odd things might happen if you don't have a "pure" power source to your cpu.

But another thing that's nice from what i saw on the board, it looks like there's a micro sd slot? Hopefully that's the case and it's not using eeprom :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast