Picking Out a WRX 5-Speed Shift Knob
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Picking Out a WRX 5-Speed Shift Knob within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm installing the SPT STS next week with Kartboy bushings and I'm thinking I may not like the stock shift ...

Picking Out a WRX 5-Speed Shift Knob

I'm installing the SPT STS next week with Kartboy bushings and I'm thinking I may not like the stock shift knob with a shorter throw (probably try it out first that way before ordering anything), but I'm already looking at my options and it seems that boot retaining lip tends to limit what you can use, at least without some kind of jury rigging (e.g. zip tie) or just letting it hang down a bit.

Even though I like the look of the metal and metal-hybrid knobs, I don't think I'd like the extreme heat/cold issues with them or the workarounds (gloves, socks, etc. used to avoid them). The duracon models are still basically plastic and kind of have a cheap feel to my hand (fondled one at the Subie dealer last month) compared to leather or metal.

The STI 5-speed handle appears to be a shorter/rounder leather-wrap handle and looks much better than the stock one from the photos I've seen, but it's pricey and I wonder if I'd prefer the feel of leather all the way around instead of a pointless shift-pattern on top like the stock one also has (my '04 WRX shifter was leather all the way around and thinner than this one).

The Varis Carbon Fiber sphere looks pretty good in the photos I've seen of it and would probably go well with my DGM color and black color scheme (contrast), but I haven't seen a 5-speed compatible "lip" version thus far putting it back in the work-around category.

I need to check some more sites and see if I can find a full leather one to my liking as an alternative (or at least with a different shape handle, more sphere-like I think). Otherwise, I'm thinking the STI 5-speed leather one from Subaru might be the best option, despite it's price.

I'm open to suggestions, though (taking the above into account).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i personally am much happier with the heavy 400+ grams shift knob. I just got a 460gr knob, much pleased with it. Shifting is much better with the heavier knobs, and worth the trade off of the hot/cold knobs. It's not too bad when you get your windows tinted either.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This is the one I got and I'm happy with it. It matches my aftermarket Momo steering wheel, and it screws on to the shifter properly instead of digging into the sides with allen screws like most aftermarket knobs.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=634

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a used sti piston shift knob that retails for roughly $120 if your interested. Asking $60 shipped and paypal'd.
    https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=772
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    +1,beautiful knobs & customizable too.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'm thinking of trying out one of these (only $15, $25 on eBay, universal fit). If I don't like it, I can get something else. I also found a red-stitch full leather "Momo" (possibly a knock-off) on eBay that matches the red-stitch steering wheel fairly well ($25).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarbonKnob3.jpg   CarbonKnob2.jpg  
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    Just realize with those you will have little screws screwed into the shifter and it will not thread on like the oem or better brand knobs will.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Just realize with those you will have little screws screwed into the shifter and it will not thread on like the oem or better brand knobs will.

Right, the universal fit WILL ruin the threads on the shifter, making it nearly impossible to install a knob that threads on in the future.

Is there an adapter I could use to fit better? I don't car about spending more for a good knob, but I do want a knob I actually like. I don't want the hot/cold problems of metal, so I'm looking at either Carbon Fiber, Duracon or Leather so far. The STI 5-speed leather knob looks better than the stock knob, but I'm not crazy about the shift pattern bit on top and frankly it's still a very similar looking shifter (in the photo at least) to the stock one. Maybe I'm just too picky. I'll see how the short-throw goes first.

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with the Duracon one. No complains
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    cobb and kartboy use delrin which doesn't have a hot/cold problem. Kartboy goes for $40 and cobb goes for $60 and they are both threaded.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    This is the one I got and I'm happy with it. It matches my aftermarket Momo steering wheel, and it screws on to the shifter properly instead of digging into the sides with allen screws like most aftermarket knobs.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=634

my car came with this "port" installed. i love it although it's about 10 years too late as i not drive a '11 as opposed to my previous '02 (which would have matched perfect to the steering wheel)

I Support ClubWRX
    Does anybody have a lever extension with their shift knob like the one offered by Lathe Werks?Just wondering how it affects shifting?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Do you guys know if a 2012 wrx oem shiftknob would fit an 04 wrx ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.