2011 WRX: auto up/down window switch - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX: auto up/down window switch within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What kind of person cant spare a few seconds to hold down the button? you people need to go back ...

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of person cant spare a few seconds to hold down the button?

you people need to go back to crank thingy
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-06-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The electronics are built into the switch and the motor, so you can't just move the switch to another door. There are aftermarket modules that would allow you to have this feature on other doors though.

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on NASIOC awhile back where someone did just that. I should have bookmarked it, as I'll probably end up doing it at some point if the parts aren't crazy expensive.
    one push down/up windows 2011 wrx? - NASIOC
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

My guess at this point (as I haven't actually gone out and verified it) is that all of the "intelligence" for the driver side up-down is within the switch itself. The reason I say that is you can actually feel it click back after the window reaches it's upper/lower boundaries. If the relay was elsewhere then that "click" wouldn't be as obvious or felt at all. There are two (well, three) complications that I foresee with just snagging some switches and popping those in place of the other ones:

1) Sensors in drivers side not present in others: it's possible that the switch is just a piece of a much more complicate solution that relies on glass pressure/position/etc. sensors. It's unlikely (it's a base-ish Subaru model) but possible.

2) Common PCB for the entire pad: seems to be the case, in other words there is a single board onto which all 4/5 switches are mounted; swapping switches would be highly impractical, might required cutting board material, traces, etc - likely to deter much of the mocking around;

3) Cost: assuming items 1 & 2 are non-issue/dealt with then it's a matter of how much $$$ it would be to source at least one (or 3 if you wanted to do all 4 windows) switch assemblies, it would have to be an 2011 MY Premium as 2010's are auto-down only. Junk yards are a possibility but cars are relatively new so they're uber expensive or not available at all, that leaves dealership and I would imagine that it's not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Was just going to post up a similar message.

I did realize that, but what I didn't realize was that it was pressure/click sensitive. I think all of the GM's that I've had in the past were time sensitive (hold it down for 2s or whatever)... There was never that 'click' threshold. Now that I know that, I like the functionality a lot. Its kind of silly though just being on the driver side. Only main use for it is drive throughs or the such.

I don't know how simple or complicated Subaru made it. Could have some feedback from the window motor letting it know that it is done. May be as simple as splicing into the control to the drivers side window, putting a toggle switch on it so you can turn the functionality on/off, then splicing that into the other motor controls. I doubt it, however. Motors are kinda tricky little buggers, and I'd bet they have some complicated circuitry tied to them.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

The same type that enjoys luxuries of cruise control?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor103 View Post
    What kind of person cant spare a few seconds to hold down the button?

you people need to go back to crank thingy
    "At dawn they sleep..."

has anyone actually fished up a wiring diagram and had a good look at it? That will tell you without doubt how complicated the circuit is and if you can move the switches to other locations. I'm thinkin the auto function is turned off at window stop down or up simply by resistance/current draw. when you stop and electric motor its draw dramatically increases.. a switch designed to cut off at that point would work all by its lonesome without sensors.

Think cheap people.. manufacturing a complicated system vs a simple one is the difference of millions in profit for the mfr.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'd rather know why the stupid home-link mirror buttons don't light up. It's a PITA to find the right button at night without overly feeling or turning on the map light. I mean how much would it have cost Subaru to have lighted buttons for all the windows and the mirror? We're talking a couple of bucks at most. Given the price of the car, it's just downright ridiculous to half-ass these things, whether it's only one auto-button or one lighted switch. Geeze that smacks of 2nd rate crap. I've got to wonder what genius at Subaru decided only one button should be lit and only one should have auto-up/down on it. He should be fired.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    has anyone actually fished up a wiring diagram and had a good look at it? That will tell you without doubt how complicated the circuit is and if you can move the switches to other locations. I'm thinkin the auto function is turned off at window stop down or up simply by resistance/current draw. when you stop and electric motor its draw dramatically increases.. a switch designed to cut off at that point would work all by its lonesome without sensors.

Think cheap people.. manufacturing a complicated system vs a simple one is the difference of millions in profit for the mfr.
    I've used that method once in a pinch. It sorta worked. More commonly, I used PWM and a simple controller. Not out of neccessity, more so out of project requirements. If I can get a wiring diagram I can check it out. Any idea where to find one?

I will dig through the service manual, it might shed a bit of light on the subject to at least see the hardware involved (thats visible)

EDIT: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2127444 - people have done their homework already =). Scroll down a bit for the long post. Looks like aftermarket modules are the way to go.
    Last edited by Heide264; 07-07-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.