2011 WRX Sedan - Rattles
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Sedan - Rattles within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 2011 WRX Sedan approx. 5 weeks ago. 11000km. It was a salesman's car at the dealership. Overall, ...

2011 WRX Sedan - Rattles

I bought a 2011 WRX Sedan approx. 5 weeks ago.
    11000km. It was a salesman's car at the dealership.
    Overall, I am happy with the car, but the interior is already full of rattles.

There is an awful rattle that sounds like 2 interior panels rubbing together in the passenger side C pillar area.

Additionally, if I turn the stereo up past "10" (not very loud at all), there is awful vibration and rattling from all 4 door panels (depending on the frequency of the note being played).

Has anyone experienced similar issues?
    I'm a first time Subaru owner so I'm not sure if Subarus typically have a lot of rattles this early on.

I have a hard time believing that a car that costs close to 40K CAD should sound like this after a few months.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the world of Subaru Rattles are one of the compromises that you make for cheap performance. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Welcome to the world of Subaru Rattles are one of the compromises that you make for cheap performance. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it
    This answer makes me want to punch you in the neck... How about not overstating the obvious.

To the OP i just bought the 2011 as well. For some HELP do a search on rattles. There are a few who took care of the doors. Mine does the same thing. I intend on fixing it as well!
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Oh boy, I wonder if the rattling in the new 2009+ WRX are actually worse than the bugeyes, or do people just have higher standards nowadays?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb View Post
    This answer makes me want to punch you in the neck... How about not overstating the obvious.

To the OP i just bought the 2011 as well. For some HELP do a search on rattles. There are a few who took care of the doors. Mine does the same thing. I intend on fixing it as well!
    Wow! If what I'm stating is obvious, why are you so mad about it? Your search will reveal that the rattles come back, it's a Subaru, I've owned them since 1997 and they all rattle at some point, there's nothing you can do except deal with what you bought (a $17k car with a beefed up engine, but still a $17k car)
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This answer makes me want to punch you in the neck.
    Violence is not the answer.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky99 View Post
    I'm a first time Subaru owner so I'm not sure if Subarus typically have a lot of rattles this early on.

I have a hard time believing that a car that costs close to 40K CAD should sound like this after a few months.

Wow, some angst there. Make love, not douchebaggery. He was just simply informing the OP that they are rattle prone, as originally asked.

Anyhow, My 2011 has a couple feint rattles. Nothing too bad. Some rubbing up by the dashboard when its cold and warming up. Some hatch rattles over bumps. I expect more to come about. I don't get the door rattles at all, but that would annoy me.

If they are real annoying ones, search around here. People have posted a way to fix just about every rattle you can imagine. Double sided tape, foam, and sound deading material may make your life much better.

Good luck, enjoy the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks for the replies.

Its not really that "cheap" performance.

I came from a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. So far, the only thing the WRX has on it is AWD (my primary reason for purchasing it). It was significantly cheaper, had a more powerful engine, better brakes, 6 speed tranny and far superior interior quality (no rattles, 10 speaker Bose stereo, Navi). It was also uuuugly and couldn't put its power down until 3rd gear.

Regardless, I had expected the premium paid for the WRX wouldn't have resulted in inferior interior quality.
    If my car sound this bad at 11,000kms, I'm scared of how bad it will get as the kms pile up.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Oh boy, I wonder if the rattling in the new 2009+ WRX are actually worse than the bugeyes, or do people just have higher standards nowadays?
    I've wondered the same thing. I suspect that WRX owners are growing up along with the brand and discovering more discriminating taste.

what's a kms?

I have much of the same problems. My theory is that the rattle is in the tray with the cupholder(s). I've noticed that when any music is playing, I push on the lower part of the door panel, and the rattle goes away. I've also tried pulling on the panel and that works too. Once this stupid snow goes away, and it warms up a bit, I plan on taking the panels off, and fixing the problem once & for all.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Wow! If what I'm stating is obvious, why are you so mad about it? Your search will reveal that the rattles come back, it's a Subaru, I've owned them since 1997 and they all rattle at some point, there's nothing you can do except deal with what you bought (a $17k car with a beefed up engine, but still a $17k car)
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Violence is not the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Wow, some angst there. Make love, not douchebaggery. He was just simply informing the OP that they are rattle prone, as originally asked.

Anyhow, My 2011 has a couple feint rattles. Nothing too bad. Some rubbing up by the dashboard when its cold and warming up. Some hatch rattles over bumps. I expect more to come about. I don't get the door rattles at all, but that would annoy me.

If they are real annoying ones, search around here. People have posted a way to fix just about every rattle you can imagine. Double sided tape, foam, and sound deading material may make your life much better.

Good luck, enjoy the car.
    whoa whoa whoa there fellers. No "douchbaggery" or "violence" intended. "Punch in the neck" is more of a face palm reference. Slow your roll.

My point was simply, The original poster asked a very direct question and to get a response like, "OH you car rattles. Guess what? Your car rattles!" was kind of like well no kidding there guy. Was just kind of restating the obvious? No? crickets? ok... well anyways... no violence or douchbaggery intended. Kind of hard to read into someones response via message board i understand. But you read into it a bit much

I Support ClubWRX
    Regardless, I had expected the premium paid for the WRX wouldn't have resulted in inferior interior quality.
    If my car sound this bad at 11,000kms, I'm scared of how bad it will get as the kms pile up.
    It's just kinda the nature of bare plastic interiors. The plastic settles as it ages and causes them.

I don't know much about Mazda's at all. Everybody I have talked to about them is hot or cold though. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking?

For what it's worth, my STi only has 2k on the odometer, but I was expecting a LOT worse by the way people talked about all the rattles. Of course, I could barely carry on a conversation in my last ride due to how loud it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    For the C-Pillar rattle:

2011 Impreza WRX/STI Sedan Rear Shelf - Stopping The Rattle [Part I] - NASIOC

I haven't done this yet, but will next weekend. My '11 STI rattles like crazy. I don't care what other members here say, $40K for a car should buy me no rattles.

For the dash, I have found the airbag cover is loosely clipped to the car. If I push on it, the rattles go away for a little while. I plan on putting weather stripping where the airbag cover meets the dash.

For the doors... this is the easiest fix. Pry open the doors from the bottom. You will notice white boxes that are terribly attached to the metal door frame. You can move them a 1/2 inch easy. You can either take them off completely (I wouldn't, they are there to keep from kicking in the interior door panel), jam something between one end of the box and the door to hold them steady (I used silicon), or have the dealer fix. I did the silicon thing first, so I could show the dealer how to fix.

Other noises that may be coming (that I have had):
    1.) seat belt latches on rear panel behind rear seats (shove something in and close the lid - rattle gone).
    2.) I have the STI limited - my leather drivers seat is now rubbing with the plastic seat holder. I have put weatherstripping on the plastic so it is leather/weather strip contact - no more noise. Not sure if you have the leather or not.
    3.) something is making a noise in my sunroof area - driving me nuts!
    4.) The STI has some cheap styrofoam on top of the spare tire and beneath the trunk carpet. It squeaks like crazy if you have wait on it (I have a 10inch sub and amp there - which certainly doesn't help the other rattles). I have no idea what I am going to do about this one...

My 07 limited WRX didn't have a single rattle at 80K miles. Argh.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I don't know much about Mazda's at all. Everybody I have talked to about them is hot or cold though. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking?
    I've always been interested in Subarus. The new WRX styling won me over.
    I was initially interested in an STI, given the recently lowered price point, but I had to make the grown up decision and get the WRX. The STI's reduced fuel economy would have driven me nuts (60km round trip to work).

I don't care what other members here say, $40K for a car should buy me no rattles.
    Agreed! Thanks for all of the suggestions. When I get some time I'm going to try the C-Pillar / rear shelf fix.

I bought a 2011 WRX Sedan approx. 5 weeks ago.
    11000km. It was a salesman's car at the dealership.
    Overall, I am happy with the car, but the interior is already full of rattles.

There is an awful rattle that sounds like 2 interior panels rubbing together in the passenger side C pillar area.

Additionally, if I turn the stereo up past "10" (not very loud at all), there is awful vibration and rattling from all 4 door panels (depending on the frequency of the note being played).

Thanks in advance.
    I just fixed the doors... I pulled those white plastic boxes out. Those sons uh *****es were the problem! Rattle free!!
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.