2011 WRX Sedan - Rattles - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Sedan - Rattles within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't get any buzzing anymore from the rear deck at any temperature down to 30 (tested) so far, but ...

I don't get any buzzing anymore from the rear deck at any temperature down to 30 (tested) so far, but I do get some other sounds that might be slight 'shifting' of the rear deck or something (anything on the ground seems to transmit right up into the car). Mostly, I hear that when on 'uneven' pavement. It's pretty quiet at freeway speeds now on decent road conditions.

I have heard some slight noises from what sounds like the passenger seat belt connection to the wall of the car and once in a great while it seems like I'll hear an odd noise from the front dash, but never more than once in a great while and then nothing. The rear wheels/trunk area seems a bit noisy like stuff is moving around in the trunk. I do have a small air compressor (that kind you plug into a car voltage outlet) and a couple of other things back there so it's possible they're moving or bouncing on little road bumps or whatever. I'd have to take them out to compare. In any case, between the fix for the door panels (they can still make noise with really big bass, but it's slight) and the foam tape on the rear deck edge and electrical taping the door strikers, the car is 500% quieter now. I mostly hear a tad of wind noise and the exhaust up until 85mph on the freeway and then the new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires make a bit of noise above 85 (nothing too loud, but slightly noticeable above the other sounds. They're still wearing in, though). The stereo pretty much covers all those up, though, when it's on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

our '09 does not have any rattles ..but we do tend to slow down over the tracks and pot holes..and we didnt race course tracks...the legacy we traded did not have any rattles either..so whats up with 'every subaru has rattles' ?? now the old 82 or so wagon that i drove to power plant work everyday 30yrs ago and after hitting 5 deer did have few rattles....but i abused that car

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I dynamat-ed the car.Strategically placed weather stripping & not a squeak out of the car.
    That's what I did with my '10 .. only part I'm gettin squeaks from is the A pillar trim. I'm sure the foam I put in is just in need of replacing though.. its a 5 min fix.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by '12 WRX Premium View Post
    our '09 does not have any rattles ..but we do tend to slow down over the tracks and pot holes..and we didnt race course tracks
    That has nothing to do with it. The rattle/buzzing issues are straight from the factory. My '04 Wagon didn't have any rattles or noises what-so-ever, but I got it used at two years old so it's possible the previous owner already had it deadened. I have no way of knowing since I never thought about it back then (my first Subaru) and no longer have the car.

The primary culprits on the '11 WRX sedan are the rear deck (vibrates against the rear glass in colder temperatures) and the door panels (defective spacer design that is not sealed properly and so rattles with bass, etc.). There are some other sources of noise, but they seem to be extremely minor by comparison (electrical tape on the door and rear seat strikers wipes most of them out) and I probably wouldn't even notice them if I weren't listening for every little sound now because of the above big issues.

I can't comment on the '11 5-door, but my '04 wagon had no rear deck to rattle (think it's the trunk cover/blind thing that rattles and that's easily addressed). The speaker thing is just a bad spacer design. Beyond that, I don't get all the talk about rattle traps, etc. My mother has a Legacy and its speaker panels rattled for a couple of months and then oddly just quit and now her car is quiet. It must be a different issue. She has no rear deck noise or anything like that.

Just started getting the creaking/groaning from the rear deck today. I am very unamused.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Anyone else get a "clunk" or "rattle" right as the clutch fully engages?
    I have noticed the same thing. For me, it turned out to be one of the bushings. Happens a lot more in cold weather. The dealer greased the living daylights out of it but it seems to only be a temporary fix. I may end up going with some 3rd bushings party and try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Just started getting the creaking/groaning from the rear deck today. I am very unamused.
    I have the same problem in cold weather. Happens when the car is idling in the morning or if she's in too high of a gear. My only temporary solution is to blast the rear defroster. Once she's warmed up it goes away.

I told the dealer about this a month ago and they wouldn't have any of it since I couldn't pinpoint the location of the rattle. When I go to get my snow tires mounted this Friday I'll be sure to take them on a quick drive and show them it's the whole damn deck, especially the rear hitting the windshield. Annoying indeed.

via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrDavros2U View Post
    I have noticed the same thing. For me, it turned out to be one of the bushings. Happens a lot more in cold weather. The dealer greased the living daylights out of it but it seems to only be a temporary fix. I may end up going with some 3rd bushings party and try that out.
    Yeah mine does this and just started now that temps are in the 30s in the morning. I'm not super concerned. I may use this opportunity to upgrade my endlinks etc and grease the heck out of everything.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    That's what I did with my '10 .. only part I'm gettin squeaks from is the A pillar trim. I'm sure the foam I put in is just in need of replacing though.. its a 5 min fix.
    I also used dynomat in doors and made sure the plastic foam in the doors was properly secured and made a tremendous difference in both rattles and sound quality with my new speakers
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rgold01 View Post
    I also used dynomat in doors and made sure the plastic foam in the doors was properly secured and made a tremendous difference in both rattles and sound quality with my new speakers
    Did you swap just the door speakers? Or HU and door speakers? I've thought about doing that
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

I should specify that it happens on uneven pavement and on inclines and driveways when there would be normal chassis flex.

Okay, a friend and I took apart the entire rear interior of my car today, put neoprene tape down everywhere, and no luck. I've pretty much narrowed the creaking down to both rear c pillar areas, down low, on the side of the seat back, but I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from. I'm beginning to think that it is just chassis flex and that there isn't enough of whatever that soft material is that they use where pieces are welded together.

On a side note, there were about 6-8 fasteners on the rear deck plastic and on the c pillar trim that Subaru just didn't use in my car. They were just absent. That's quality for you!
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb View Post
    Did you swap just the door speakers? Or HU and door speakers? I've thought about doing that
    I replaced the speakers with alpine speakers and added an alpine amp, and put the Infinity Basslink in the trunk, and dynomatt. The sound is amazing, it thought i would replace the head unit with a gps one when i had more $$ but i am liking the stock look and may just leave it alone.
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrDavros2U View Post
    Which bushing was it? I'll have the dealer take a look the next time I go in.

I mentioned that noise to them when they were going to check out the rear deck noise and they fixed that, but seem to have forgotten about the clutch release sound in 1st gear (or didn't notice it). I can hear very slight throw-out bearing ticking sometimes with the windows up at idle (goes away when you press the clutch in). I don't know what that might indicate. My first car ('88 Z24 from 1992-2001) made a lot louder ticking than that for nearly 8 years and was still operating OK at 129k miles when a lady wrecked into me, but my last WRX ('04 Wagon I had from 1996-2011 with 80k on it when I traded it) had zero noise from the clutch or transmission. In fact, the car was dead quiet (you couldn't even tell if the engine was on with the windows up at a red light by sound) and there was NO door panel noises, dash noises or anything else. The car was silent except for where the dash boost gauge met the dash itself (would make a noise in cold weather sometimes and would go away when adjusted slightly). Of course, my current car has an SPT exhaust (and I think they're louder than the '04 even with the stock exhaust) so it's plenty loud to begin with and probably covers up quiet things more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    I should specify that it happens on uneven pavement and on inclines and driveways when there would be normal chassis flex.

Okay, a friend and I took apart the entire rear interior of my car today, put neoprene tape down everywhere, and no luck.
    Did you put tape on the strikers for the seat backs that lower? They definitely make some noise against the latch (I put it on all 4 doors as well). If you have leather seats, they can make noise against the rear deck (I coated them with Pledge where they meet). The dealer put foam tape on the rear deck where it meets the window and I have no more noise coming from back there.

Sadly, I'm now starting to get some noise that sounds like it could be coming from the passenger dash/pillar area. It's a pretty loud creak, but it seems to only happen a few times when I first start out in cold weather and then doesn't seem to do it anymore the rest of a trip, but it never did it period until recently (despite cold weather last month on several days) so I'm not sure what changed unless the 'fix' they did for the passenger door panels is moving somehow. They never told me how they secured the spacers. I don't get noise when the stereo plays anymore for the most part (very low level noises on some songs with a lot of bass) and this seems to be with the car moving (regardless of the stereo) so I think it's something else. It's still night and day better than it was.

On a side note, there were about 6-8 fasteners on the rear deck plastic and on the c pillar trim that Subaru just didn't use in my car. They were just absent. That's quality for you!
    When I had my short shifter installed, they discovered it was missing a large washer from the factory on the bottom of the shifter plate or thereabouts. It makes me wonder what else might be missing.

Finally got this taken care of today. I had some insulation installed in the rear deck and the problem went away. Woot!

Oh GOD, I hate unauthorized sounds...as a new owner, this is NOT the thread I wanted to find. It's brand new and the radio makes the passenger side door panel make some noise so I'll bring this up to the dealer.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast