WillieRX's Proposed Gauge Selection and Mounting Options (and Questions)

This is a discussion on WillieRX's Proposed Gauge Selection and Mounting Options (and Questions) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, after researching and delving into which gauges I want. I have decided to go with a mechanical boost gauge ...

WillieRX's Proposed Gauge Selection and Mounting Options (and Questions)

Well, after researching and delving into which gauges I want. I have decided to go with a mechanical boost gauge and electric oil pressure gauge. I like the looks (and decent price)of the Autometer Z-series gauges.

Proposed gauges: Autometer Boost Gauge
    Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge

I have decided to go with a dual gauge dash bezel as my mounting option: Dual gauge Dash Bezel

I do have a few questions though about these gauges. I intend to use the oil galley plug for the oil pressure, but apparently i need an oil pressure sender as well.
    -Do i buy a separate oil pressure sender for the gauge, if so, can someone point me to the correct part?
    -Does the T-fitting included with the boost gauge properly sized for the BPV line, or does someone know the correct size that i need?
    -Can anyone point me in the right direction to exactly where and which wires to splice into for power/backlights for these guages? I would like them to be off when my headlights are off and vice versa.

any additional thoughts, comments, concerns that i should be aware of?
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*Note, I know that the guages can be purchased at better prices then the website linked, and was only using it as a reference.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    The gauge should come with the sender. If not you would have to use the correct part from Autometer. Tap the fuse box for an ignition power source and tap the light relay power there as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Those are old-school autometers..... I would shy away from those. Look for one of the newer styles with the LED backlighting - MUCH better quality. Nexus, Cobalt, C2, etc.

Keep in mind, autometers are USA made, so all the fittings are standard, you you will need to find standard to metric adapters for your oil pressure gauge.

Oh.... don't use the galley plug under the intercooler..... use the FACTORY fitting right next to the alternator.

Lastly, best way to wire them, is to just vampire clip into the stereo harness.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Oh.... don't use the galley plug under the intercooler..... use the FACTORY fitting right next to the alternator.

Lastly, best way to wire them, is to just vampire clip into the stereo harness.
    Why not use the oil galley plug under the intercooler? I have found a kit from wrxtra that is used for the autometer sender and comes with all adaptors etc... that is for using the plug by the intercooler.

Also, could you show me what these clips look like and which wires (color, size, type) do i utilize from the stereo harness?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods