Xoom custom car dock ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Xoom custom car dock ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just ordered my WRX and am interested in building a custom car dock for the Xoom similar to what ...

Xoom custom car dock ?

I just ordered my WRX and am interested in building a custom car dock for the Xoom similar to what this guy did:
    Car Dock - Android Forums

Has anyone had any experience with products or custom projects like this?
    Last edited by Born2Board; 04-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow that is SiCK!
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

Right? =)

I Support ClubWRX
    I may have to pickup a Xoom now and do some tinkering...
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

thats pretty sick! I've been toying with using droid os in a carputer for a while now but there is one really nasty drawback.. they use a proprietary gps antenna rig.. so aftermarket/usb types wont work.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I like how they left the head unit in there. There was a mount made for an iPad a while ago featured on carMP3. It basically slid in behind two tabs. I like this one better personally.

start threadjack:

I love the android OS for things like carPC and cell use. It's just such a darn pain to deal with external stuff in general.

Until they start coming more external device friendly, I still think a well known front end like centrafuse and a mouse like 3Dconnexion : SpaceNavigator is the way to go. If you go that route, you no longer need a touch screen as well. I am thinking of using it in place of a reverse cam and putting a manual toggle switch on my reverse control of a normal double DIN head unit. This would allow me to leave the audio playing from the head unit if I wanted, while observing a carPC video input for whatever purpose.

/threadjack
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    thats pretty sick! I've been toying with using droid os in a carputer for a while now but there is one really nasty drawback.. they use a proprietary gps antenna rig.. so aftermarket/usb types wont work.
    Is there any advantage to using an external GPS antenna as opposed to an integrated one like what the Xoom comes with?

I Support ClubWRX
    IMO the Android OS offers limitless possibilities if you have the resources and time to make it happen... I am going to explore using the combo of my rooted DINC, Xoom, and OBDII Bluetooth adapter for doing some interesting combos with the car... it'll be a while before any of that materializes, but should be neat!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    I don't how to do it but I am sure that it is possible with the xoom. The os programming is open source, so that anything really can be done unless there are physical hardware issues like no ports to attach the GPS antenna. I know that on my Droid X I managed to overclock the phone along with get the mobile hotspot for free and other goodies.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know a few things myself and I have developers that work for me who are fluent in Java, so I'm sure I'll be able to overcome my issues I may run in to...

I'm checking around for some prices on this thing, I only want the Wi-Fi version.

I'm also a developer, though know much more Python and C/C++ than Java. When I get my WRX in June I'll be looking to get started with some open source engine management. Right now I'm looking into RomRaider, which coincidentally is written in Java. At first just to get some experience and learn what EM is all about. Then, when I need EM after getting a turbo-back exhaust and start wanting to create engine profiles for different styles of driving (performance for fun, high-MPG for long drives), I can get more serious about tuning.

And how sick would it be to do all that from my dash-mounted Xoom, where I can flash the ECU with a new map, collect engine stats while playing music and setting the navigation. Then I can take the Xoom inside, look at the stats, and share with the community!

What kind of OBDII bluetooth adapter did you get?

Also, what's a DINC? Is that a mount/holder for your device?

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought the OBDLink Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD-II Cable (Straight connector) (SKU 425103) from ScanTool.net since I saw that the application Torque recommended that and a few others... and I'm a firm believer you often get what you pay for, so I wasn't going to go the cheap route and get a $40 one from Amazon.

DINC is shorthand for the Droid Incredible.

Speaking of mount/holder, I need to check out the Proclip website for a mount to use in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Board View Post
    Is there any advantage to using an external GPS antenna as opposed to an integrated one like what the Xoom comes with?
    probably not but I wasn't planning on using a phone, just the os on a scratch built pc. Which would bring up the need for an external gps antenna.

I'm a network engineer.. lol.. I dont write software I just make it talk
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast