Xoom custom car dock ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Xoom custom car dock ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wonder if that could be retrofitted for the Xoom. Looks slick....

I wonder if that could be retrofitted for the Xoom. Looks slick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Board View Post
    I wonder if that could be retrofitted for the Xoom. Looks slick.
    I emailed the guy, asked that exact question... or he if planned to make one.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Sweet, let us know when you get a response! That would definitely beat making a custom one myself or getting a protruding mount of some sort.

I Support ClubWRX
    Intriguing concepts, but I don't like the idea of having a piece of expensive electronics in front of my air vents.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I'd be interested in doing this and using the Torque application to get some readings from the OBDII port. That and I'd get the WIFI version and tether it to my Evo if I needed data on the go.

^^ I agree. It is too much of a distraction. A smaller phone screen would be better.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djclue8713 View Post
    I'd be interested in doing this and using the Torque application to get some readings from the OBDII port. That and I'd get the WIFI version and tether it to my Evo if I needed data on the go.
    Exactly what I'm thinking, except I have a few program ideas in my head I'd be wanting to see developed.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Yea there's a lot of potential for the platform. I toyed with the idea of a CarPC for my last vehicle and then I got the phone and said "I have everything I need right here!" If I were to do this, I'd want this guy to show up when I rev too high:

Or this one if you go over 100MPH:

I think that would be more of a screensaver for some of the speeders on this board!

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha! So I spent the better part of a 1/2 hour in Best Buy yesterday messing around with the Xoom and basically feel as though spending almost $600 on that thing would be senseless.. my rooted HTC Incredible would provide me with the stuff I'm seeking and reduce the need for a bunch of other complex mini-projects that would only cost more money.

I have my Bluetooth OBDII adapter on the way and I'll see how this torque application suits my needs initially... if that doesn't work, then I plan on taking a look at some of these other toys from PLX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Got a response from Justin at CBINS Parts.

Hi,

At this time I don't have plans to extend the mounting solution to the Xoom. The tablet market as a whole is exploding with competitors almost coming out of the woodwork. For better or worse, Apple has the dominant product in the field at the moment and its market share only seems to grow. If I had a larger distribution network or a more universal solution, I'd certainly entertain the idea, but as it stands, I don't see it happening.

There are a bunch of mounting solutions which may work well for you. RAM mounts are pretty adaptable to any environment, but it may not be the look you are going for. To really get something seamlessly integrated, it takes either OEM-level production or detailed 1-off modification. If you're up for a challenge, go to a junkyard and pick up an extra '11 bezel (I think '08-'11 are all the same?), take out a sharpie, a dremel tool, your Xoom, and some fiberglass and modify your junkyard bezel until it fits and looks right.

If you do get the Xoom mounted up, I'd love to see it!

Justin Riley
    CBINS Parts LLC
    (774) 487-8233

Figured. I still wonder if their iPad mount with small modifications could be used for a Xoom. I supposed the dimensions would be the first thing to check.

I Support ClubWRX
    Those RAM mounts aren't too bad, easy and less involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12