Amp install locations?

This is a discussion on Amp install locations? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I'll be picking up my wrx 5-door next week, and stereo is one of the first things to be ...

Amp install locations?

Hi,

I'll be picking up my wrx 5-door next week, and stereo is one of the first things to be changed. I want to avoid losing as much hatch space as possible since folding the seats will be out of the question for another year or so (child seats), and I need the room for my hockey goalie gear. I'll be getting the audio integrations enclosure, but where else can I mount an amp? Is under the passenger front seat possible? iirc that is where the subaru powered sub goes correct? Any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The amp install location depends on the amp you're using. What amp are you planning to run?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm planning on getting an Alpine MRP-M500. Dimensions are 10-11/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D. I also currently have a RF P2002, don't have the dimensions right now.

In order to maintain the usable rear hatch space, I'd put them in a custom enclosure just behind the rear seats. You can have an enclosure that's about 3" high and the width of the car and as long as the amps plus an inch or two. Leave the front and rear facing sides of the enclosure open with wire mesh on them to allow for cooling.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

My other thought is to mount the amp under the spare tire cover, reinforced with some aluminum strips on top. May be an issue with cooling though.....

Do you already have the one amp mounted, and if so, where?

Can you fit the spare tire under the cover with the amp in there too, or would it require running with no spare?

Either way, I'd be worried about cooling too, but you could always cut holes through the cover. But then the carpet is backed isn't it i.e. not really thin carpet you can almost see through if you held it up to a light?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

That'll fit under the seat just fine. I've got the JBL MS8 there with plenty to spare and it is 8 x 11 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Do you already have the one amp mounted, and if so, where?

Can you fit the spare tire under the cover with the amp in there too, or would it require running with no spare?

Either way, I'd be worried about cooling too, but you could always cut holes through the cover. But then the carpet is backed isn't it i.e. not really thin carpet you can almost see through if you held it up to a light?
    I was just spitballin' ideas. My preference is under the passenger front seat. I'll take measurements when I get the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    That'll fit under the seat just fine. I've got the JBL MS8 there with plenty to spare and it is 8 x 11 x 3
    That's good news! I've got some 2x12 wood in the basement, I can cut that and slide it under the seat to make sure it fits before ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by GEARJAMR View Post
    That's good news! I've got some 2x12 wood in the basement, I can cut that and slide it under the seat to make sure it fits before ordering.
    Also, the underseat vents can help cool it during hot summer days!

yea what samxp said, check to see if that amp has a fan to help cool it, if so, mount it anywhere you can fit it, do not mount your amp on your sub box. ive seen people put their amps on the backside of the backseat. not too bad of an idea.