Radar Detector
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

This is a discussion on Radar Detector within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone here have a radar detector? Which ones are the better ones? I've been hearing a lot about the Valentine ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25

    Radar Detector

    Anyone here have a radar detector? Which ones are the better ones? I've been hearing a lot about the Valentine One anyone have one?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User oberman562's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    STRONG BEACH, CA
    Posts
    46
    idk but i have recently gotten 2 speeding tickets so i will checking back on this thread to see
    HAWK EYE ALLIANCE # [5][6][2]

  4. #3
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,495
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have 500 bucks to spend? Yes? Valentine 1 or Escort 9500i. Do you not have 500 bucks? Excort 8500 x50. The end.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  5. #4
    Registered User katzuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Posts
    87
    I vouch for the Valentine 1. It is the only one with full 360 degree protection. Traditional radar detectors only detect what is oncoming. However, the v1 can give you signals for oncoming radar, to the side, and from the back. Don't mind the $500 cost.. think about it.. if it even saves you ONE ticket, it will already be worth it. Anything from there is pure gain. If you're going to get a radar detector, don't settle my friend!

    Here's a picture of how I mounted mine: (I have a 2011 wrx with auto-dimming mirror/compass). Used a blendmount and invisicord. The inviscord taps into the power of your mirror (1 minute install).

    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

    Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

  6. #5
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    I didn't have a radar detector until I moved to CO, and I went 5 years without a ticket in MA without one. And I wasn't driving slow. I got 9 tickets with it. Now I leave it at home and I haven't had a ticket in almost two years (knock on wood). These days they use instant on so much that no detector is going to help you. Personally, I think they just give you a false sense of confidence.

    But as a previous poster said, if you want a good detector, then go with a V1 or the 9500. Anything less just isn't worth it. If you want a perfect condition V1 with all the accessories let me know and you can buy mine for a great price.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by katzuu View Post
    I vouch for the Valentine 1. It is the only one with full 360 degree protection. Traditional radar detectors only detect what is oncoming. However, the v1 can give you signals for oncoming radar, to the side, and from the back. Don't mind the $500 cost.. think about it.. if it even saves you ONE ticket, it will already be worth it. Anything from there is pure gain. If you're going to get a radar detector, don't settle my friend!

    Here's a picture of how I mounted mine: (I have a 2011 wrx with auto-dimming mirror/compass). Used a blendmount and invisicord. The inviscord taps into the power of your mirror (1 minute install).

    i love the way you've mounted it...is there any way to do that with just the regular mirror?

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I didn't have a radar detector until I moved to CO, and I went 5 years without a ticket in MA without one. And I wasn't driving slow. I got 9 tickets with it. Now I leave it at home and I haven't had a ticket in almost two years (knock on wood). These days they use instant on so much that no detector is going to help you. Personally, I think they just give you a false sense of confidence.

    But as a previous poster said, if you want a good detector, then go with a V1 or the 9500. Anything less just isn't worth it. If you want a perfect condition V1 with all the accessories let me know and you can buy mine for a great price.
    radar detectors are detecting when police are scanning people ahead of you for their speed...unless someone's going like 130 mph down the freeway how would it possibly give a false sense of security?

  9. #8
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,663
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need to know how to use a detector properly for it to be useful; it's another tool in your arsenal to avoiding tickets. You still need to know what traffic control methods LEOs in your area use and drive with an eagle eye (spotting potential "hot spots", watching traffic in front of you, etc.), rabbit technique, ratio rule (for every X cars you pass, one passes you), etc. The people who have trouble are the ones who install a detector and go around speeding everywhere because they have a false sense of security.

    In my area, there isn't the Instant-On threat that Scott talks about; if cops are using radar, they leave it on, so I pick them up from quite a distance with my V1. I paid $400 new for it about a year and a half ago. I hardly ever adjust my speed my Ka band comes up, but it's nice to have a buffer for those rare instances in which I may have been booking or lost track of speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    radar detectors are detecting when police are scanning people ahead of you for their speed...unless someone's going like 130 mph down the freeway how would it possibly give a false sense of security?
    Because LEOs sometimes use speed estimation paired with Instant-On/laser, which could mean that the only time your detector is picking up any signal, you're the one being targeted; the detector going off simply tells you to expect flashing lights in your rearview.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-30-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  10. #9
    Registered User katzuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    i love the way you've mounted it...is there any way to do that with just the regular mirror?
    You can still mount it with the blendmount as shown in my picture or you can use the good 'ol fashioned suction cups it comes with the V1. However, if you want to power it cleanly (without the dangling power cord), you can look up methods on how to tap into the map lights' power. I haven't done it before but I've seen threads on NASIOC or here on clubwrx for guides.

    The other alternative to powering your v1 is to tuck away the power cord along the top (hidden behind the sun visor) and down the pillar sides to a 12v outlet. It may look a little ghetto but at least it wont be dangling straight down.
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

    Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

  11. #10
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,495
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I didn't have a radar detector until I moved to CO, and I went 5 years without a ticket in MA without one. And I wasn't driving slow. I got 9 tickets with it. Now I leave it at home and I haven't had a ticket in almost two years (knock on wood). These days they use instant on so much that no detector is going to help you. Personally, I think they just give you a false sense of confidence.

    But as a previous poster said, if you want a good detector, then go with a V1 or the 9500. Anything less just isn't worth it. If you want a perfect condition V1 with all the accessories let me know and you can buy mine for a great price.
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you want for it?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  12. #11
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    radar detectors are detecting when police are scanning people ahead of you for their speed...unless someone's going like 130 mph down the freeway how would it possibly give a false sense of security?
    See below please.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You need to know how to use a detector properly for it to be useful; it's another tool in your arsenal to avoiding tickets. You still need to know what traffic control methods LEOs in your area use and drive with an eagle eye (spotting potential "hot spots", watching traffic in front of you, etc.), rabbit technique, ratio rule (for every X cars you pass, one passes you), etc. The people who have trouble are the ones who install a detector and go around speeding everywhere because they have a false sense of security.

    In my area, there isn't the Instant-On threat that Scott talks about; if cops are using radar, they leave it on, so I pick them up from quite a distance with my V1. I paid $400 new for it about a year and a half ago. I hardly ever adjust my speed my Ka band comes up, but it's nice to have a buffer for those rare instances in which I may have been booking or lost track of speed.

    Because LEOs sometimes use speed estimation paired with Instant-On/laser, which could mean that the only time your detector is picking up any signal, you're the one being targeted; the detector going off simply tells you to expect flashing lights in your rearview.
    Exactly as you said. I don't know what to add. But I'll reiterate your points. If they're using instant-on, they're visually watching for speed so your detector does nothing because by the time you pick them up, they already have you. I've just noticed a lot more are using instant-on rather than just sitting with their guns on. A detector only helps you if they're sitting with their guns on. Otherwise it's useless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you want for it?
    I don't know, hadn't really thought about it. Since it's been sitting out of my cars for almost two years now and doing nothing for me, just make me an offer. Go look at the completed auctions on ebay and take something off the lowest average prices. I'd rather get the bucks and take a low offer than keep it sitting here doing nothing for another 2 years. I have no plans to use it.

    I don't drive slow. I hit almost 140 in my STI the other day for the first time, and my Porsche sees 150+ many times. Stupid speeds but I'm not a kid with little experience like most of you. I've done 150+ more times already than most of you will ever see in your lives, never mind the faster speeds. But I also have hundreds of thousands of miles behind the wheels of cars that are faster than anything on this forum. My other regular hangout is 6speedonline.com. If you've never been there, get ready for cars that will make everything here look like a model T, including my Porsche, which is a sub 4 second 0-60 car and will do almost 200. Once the warranty is up on my Porsche I'll be joining the so-fast-you-can't-imagine club. Hopefully a 0-60 under 3 seconds and 600+ WHP/WTQ will be a low estimate. Possibly very low. Whole different world.....
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 03-30-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Prince Albert SK
    Posts
    89
    Straight up i had a cobra radar detector.. i think it was 150 bucks and she worked like a beut. sure it couldnt pick up cops from miles away but pobably half a kilometer

  14. #13
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,663
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by katzuu
    The other alternative to powering your v1 is to tuck away the power cord along the top (hidden behind the sun visor) and down the pillar sides to a 12v outlet. It may look a little ghetto but at least it wont be dangling straight down.
    I have mine wired this way. The power is tapped from the DC adapter, run under the dash, up the A-Pillar, along the headliner, and down to the V1 mounted right above the mirror on the driver side. You see 3-4" of cable total (just from the headliner to the unit).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  15. #14
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I have mine wired this way. The power is tapped from the DC adapter, run under the dash, up the A-Pillar, along the headliner, and down to the V1 mounted right above the mirror on the driver side. You see 3-4" of cable total (just from the headliner to the unit).
    Yeah that's how I did mine in my Porsche. The cable is actually still there even though I haven't used the detector in forever. Black cable + black leather interior = you can't really see it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  16. #15
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I didn't have a radar detector until I moved to CO, and I went 5 years without a ticket in MA without one. And I wasn't driving slow. I got 9 tickets with it. Now I leave it at home and I haven't had a ticket in almost two years (knock on wood). These days they use instant on so much that no detector is going to help you. Personally, I think they just give you a false sense of confidence.

    But as a previous poster said, if you want a good detector, then go with a V1 or the 9500. Anything less just isn't worth it. If you want a perfect condition V1 with all the accessories let me know and you can buy mine for a great price.
    +1...Sounds like me to a T.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •