Radar Detector - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Radar Detector within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Fierceblues I have a Bell "STI" laser/radar (X, K & Ka bands). The unit has "pop" detection ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fierceblues View Post
    I have a Bell "STI" laser/radar (X, K & Ka bands). The unit has "pop" detection for "instant on" radar and emergency road broadcast alerts. Best part is that is is invisible to the cops as it has no signal bleed since the housing is military grade magnesium. It has 360 detection of radar for about 4 miles. I've had it for about 2 years and has been flawless in every respect. BTW since it is not attached to the window it is totally legal in California...had several cops look at it. Highly recommend
    So let me run this scenario by you... It's late at night and you're the only person driving down the road. You don't see the cop but he's there, a mile down the road. He flips his radar on and gets you. How does that detector prevent that ticket? It can only detect radar that is on, if it's not on until he sees you, you're caught.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    So let me run this scenario by you... It's late at night and you're the only person driving down the road. You don't see the cop but he's there, a mile down the road. He flips his radar on and gets you. How does that detector prevent that ticket? It can only detect radar that is on, if it's not on until he sees you, you're caught.
    ^This. If you are running alone and speeding, you're just begging for a ticket. Radar detectors DO NOT MAKE YOU INVINCIBLE. Instant On radar has "instant owned" many people because of the false sense of security they get when using a radar detector. Your best bet is to use a rabbit (someone going just as fast, or faster than you, in front), so they take the IO radar hit. That way you still get the alert and have a little bit more time to slow down. If you use common sense with a detector, you will be fine. But I hate the people that cry "WAHHH I got pulled for 50 over and my detector didn't save me! Waste of money!"

I've been using a Passport 8500 X50 for two years now and I'm happy to report no tickets. I have also learned where to and where not to speed. It's all about situational awareness. Be smart about it!

katzuu, do you feel the blendmount impairs your vision? I love how clean the install looks, however I in the few weeks that I have had my WRX I wish that the rear view mirror was mounted closer to the roof because it creates a small blind spot for me. I might just have to mount mine above the rear view and see how it comes out.

I just make sure there is someone ahead of me going just as fast or I am at least that I'm not alone on the road, it's worked for me for the past 10 years, no speeding tickets, no radar detector
    Stink eye mob #727

Banned
    What about radar scramblers? can someone tell me anything about those cause I have no clue about them?

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeystyle View Post
    katzuu, do you feel the blendmount impairs your vision? I love how clean the install looks, however I in the few weeks that I have had my WRX I wish that the rear view mirror was mounted closer to the roof because it creates a small blind spot for me. I might just have to mount mine above the rear view and see how it comes out.
    The blendmount is practically invisible to me as a driver because it sits behind the rear-view mirror, holding onto the shaft. See my picture for reference. The only thing new in my line of sight is the v1, sitting directly below my mirror. It's good placement in my opinion because I can just look up and to the right a little bit to see what my radar detector is telling me. It's the same motion as looking into my rear-view mirror. It's secure and doesn't jostle at all.

If you're having issues with your rear-view mirror being too low, you can always just move it upward.. The shaft is held on two pivot points: One connecting to the front windshield and one to adjust the angle of the mirror. Simply grab your mirror and lift it up gently against the front windshield pivot. That should help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Habbyy View Post
    What about radar scramblers? can someone tell me anything about those cause I have no clue about them?
    Legal Issues - Radar Detector Laws - RadarBusters.com
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

Quote Originally Posted by Habbyy View Post
    50-state illegal, because of FCC guidelines. Laser jammers are legal because they fall under FDA guidelines.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Banned
    I live in canada and they arnt illegal i dont think... but can someone still explain them to mee how they work?

I have evaded "pop" or "instant on" several times....I'm sure there are times were you might get caught, but the number of times I have evade a radar trap are too numerous. Instant on DOES NOT mean instant caught. Sorry, but if you want to be like sheep and not use every resource available..then go right ahead. When the "laser" or "pop" warnings go off I react quickly and so far have yet to be ticketed. I don't care what you guys do or say about detectors..cuz mine has saved me tons of money in tickets. Believe it or not.....I could care less.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander
    1970 Datsun 510 sedan (first car)

I have evaded "pop" or "instant on" several times....I'm sure there are times were you might get caught, but the number of times I have evade a radar trap are too numerous. Instant on DOES NOT mean instant caught. Sorry, but if you want to be like sheep and not use every resource available..then go right ahead. When the "laser" or "pop" warnings go off I react quickly and so far have yet to be ticketed. I don't care what you guys do or say about detectors..cuz mine has saved me tons of money in tickets. Believe it or not.....I could care less.
    yea that's completely true, having a detector can at least give a few seconds to react...I think i'm going to go with the V1 any other suggestions/?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have evaded "pop" or "instant on" several times....When the "laser" or "pop" warnings go off I react quickly and so far have yet to be ticketed.
    To what are you reacting? Is it clear POP and laser are in use where you live? In LAC and OC, for example, it is unclear anyone is using either technology and I've yet to see either in the wild.

Turning POP off has made my commute much more quiet. Laser is usually someone's tail lamps.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is this when you're the only car on the road? Or there's other traffic ahead of you? Because if you're the only car on the road and it goes off, they've registered your speed. They get the reading instantly so jamming on your brakes isn't going to help in the least bit. If it goes off and there's other cars on the road, then most likely they were measuring somebody ahead of you and you got lucky enough to catch that signal. Standard distance any radar or laser gun can read your speed at is at least 1000 ft and many of them are twice that. Most of the time they're reading you at a distance well under 1000 ft because they're in a hidden spot.

It's not about somebody that's not using every resource available being a sheep. It's about the false sense of confidence those resources give you. At the end of the day, instant-on that's pointed at you is going to get you every time with very few if any exceptions.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Like I said, no radar detector, no tickets, 10 years. Radar detectors are reactive devices and I'll tell you with confidence that you've never evaded instant on radar if it was fired at you. If it's about saving money, the fact that I don't have a radar detector has saved me more money than you having one. So does that make me the sheep?
    Stink eye mob #727

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I simply use cruise control anywhere from the posted speed limit up to +10mph over, no need for a radar detector anymore... 7 points taught me a lesson I shall not soon forget.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Wow, I wish I could say this was my first car or some other type of excuse, but I had no idea the mirror had two pivot points. I honestly think all my prior cars on had 1 pivot to adjust the angle of the mirror itself. Well I have adjusted the mirror upward and can see much better. I still did not want to have anything hanging below(i know a detector is only about an inch) so I mounted mine above the mirror and tapped into the power supply for my mirror. I will try to post up a picture soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.