Radar Detector - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Radar Detector within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones See below please. Exactly as you said. I don't know what to add. But I'll reiterate ...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    See below please.

Exactly as you said. I don't know what to add. But I'll reiterate your points. If they're using instant-on, they're visually watching for speed so your detector does nothing because by the time you pick them up, they already have you. I've just noticed a lot more are using instant-on rather than just sitting with their guns on. A detector only helps you if they're sitting with their guns on. Otherwise it's useless.

I don't know, hadn't really thought about it. Since it's been sitting out of my cars for almost two years now and doing nothing for me, just make me an offer. Go look at the completed auctions on ebay and take something off the lowest average prices. I'd rather get the bucks and take a low offer than keep it sitting here doing nothing for another 2 years. I have no plans to use it.

I don't drive slow. I hit almost 140 in my STI the other day for the first time, and my Porsche sees 150+ many times. Stupid speeds but I'm not a kid with little experience like most of you. I've done 150+ more times already than most of you will ever see in your lives, never mind the faster speeds. But I also have hundreds of thousands of miles behind the wheels of cars that are faster than anything on this forum. My other regular hangout is 6speedonline.com. If you've never been there, get ready for cars that will make everything here look like a model T, including my Porsche, which is a sub 4 second 0-60 car and will do almost 200. Once the warranty is up on my Porsche I'll be joining the so-fast-you-can't-imagine club. Hopefully a 0-60 under 3 seconds and 600+ WHP/WTQ will be a low estimate. Possibly very low. Whole different world.....
    ok so basically you are saying it's not even worth getting a detector, just hoping a cop isn't sitting there when you're going 100+?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    ok so basically you are saying it's not even worth getting a detector, just hoping a cop isn't sitting there when you're going 100+?
    Don't go 100+MPH, especially if you can't afford the ticket.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I don't drive slow. I hit almost 140 in my STI the other day for the first time, and my Porsche sees 150+ many times. Stupid speeds but I'm not a kid with little experience like most of you. I've done 150+ more times already than most of you will ever see in your lives, never mind the faster speeds. But I also have hundreds of thousands of miles behind the wheels of cars that are faster than anything on this forum. My other regular hangout is 6speedonline.com. If you've never been there, get ready for cars that will make everything here look like a model T, including my Porsche, which is a sub 4 second 0-60 car and will do almost 200. Once the warranty is up on my Porsche I'll be joining the so-fast-you-can't-imagine club. Hopefully a 0-60 under 3 seconds and 600+ WHP/WTQ will be a low estimate. Possibly very low. Whole different world.....
    That's a pretty general statement about people you know very little about. And FYI, I've seen model Ts top 50MPH with a tail wind.
    Stink eye mob #727

I Support ClubWRX
    There was a T on the access road next to the freeway yesterday and I was admiring it. Nice cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Don't go 100+MPH, especially if you can't afford the ticket.
    not saying that i can't afford it, but it would be nice not to have it especially with the crap i'd get from my parents...And i didn't really mean 100+ i was just kind of saying it because the other guy did, i would most likely be doing 80 or 90 max.

not saying that i can't afford it, but it would be nice not to have it especially with the crap i'd get from my parents...And i didn't really mean 100+ i was just kind of saying it because the other guy did, i would most likely be doing 80 or 90 max.
    Gotta pay to play man. I got more tickets when I had the false security of a detector than without one.
    Stink eye mob #727

Gotta pay to play man. I got more tickets when I had the false security of a detector than without one.
    hahah what? how is that possible...were you just blowing past everybody and not paying attention to the radar or something?

hahah what? how is that possible...were you just blowing past everybody and not paying attention to the radar or something?
    Instant on radar. You're driving down the road and BAM! radar hits you and the detector goes crazy but it's too late.
    Stink eye mob #727

Instant on radar. You're driving down the road and BAM! radar hits you and the detector goes crazy but it's too late.
    whaaaaaat? is that even like legal?! haha instant radar i've never even heard of that before except above in the other comments...wow, i'm seriously considering not ever speeding again seems like there's no way to win.

If you want a perfect condition V1 with all the accessories let me know and you can buy mine for a great price.

Dude if you have it a week or two from now I would love to take it... lmk
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

Instant-on radar isn't as popular as instant-on laser, correct? For the most part, you'd be okay with a radar detector, laser jammer setup, eyes and some common sense, right?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

That's a pretty general statement about people you know very little about. And FYI, I've seen model Ts top 50MPH with a tail wind.
    I've been on here long enough to know what kind of people are on the forum. The vast majority are pretty young and inexperienced drivers. There's some other old fogies like me on here, but I bet easily 95% of the registered users are under 25 and very few have driven more than 100k miles in their lives. I've actually seen a model T doing over 70 on the highway. Yeah, you heard right. The big diesel truck pulling the trailer was having no issues going that fast.....

I don't drive fast in areas where a cop can sit. I wait for open stretches without hiding places. Otherwise, I usually cruise in the low 70s in 65 mph zones since they usually leave you alone at those speeds. They're looking for people doing 10+ over the limit since it's a more expensive ticket.

whaaaaaat? is that even like legal?! haha instant radar i've never even heard of that before except above in the other comments...wow, i'm seriously considering not ever speeding again seems like there's no way to win.
    Forget about whether it's legal, it's becoming the standard. Here in CO they very rarely just sit with their radar guns on. Most of the staties use instant on radar.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrownmann View Post
    Dude if you have it a week or two from now I would love to take it... lmk
    I haven't been trying to sell it so just let me know when you've got the dough and want it.

I have so many random car parts lying around from lots of vehicles and I just never get around to selling them. I have 3 sets of wheels for my Porsche, but I only use 1 of them. I keep thinking about getting some Hoosiers for one set for track days, but it's just another thing to spend money on so I keep holding off. Then I could get snows for the other set and leave summers on one set. I have parts still from cars I sold years ago. I'm just too lazy to sell them.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I have a Bell "STI" laser/radar (X, K & Ka bands). The unit has "pop" detection for "instant on" radar and emergency road broadcast alerts. Best part is that is is invisible to the cops as it has no signal bleed since the housing is military grade magnesium. It has 360 detection of radar for about 4 miles. I've had it for about 2 years and has been flawless in every respect. BTW since it is not attached to the window it is totally legal in California...had several cops look at it. Highly recommend!
    Last edited by Fierceblues; 04-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander
    1970 Datsun 510 sedan (first car)

Poly...laser jamming is a citation waiting to happen if your radar detector bleeds signals. If the cops catch you jamming they will confiscate the unit and cite you...at least here in California. I have these plastic laser deflectors on top of my license plates..but have to replace them once a year as the tend to yellow. I also have a "paint" for the headlights (the laser beams focus on the areas with most relective energy) which diffuses laser signals...thus making the officer take a bit longer to lock in the speed and gives you time to slow down. The "paint" makes your headlights appear a tad smoked. You aren't jamming the signal, just making your speed harder to read until you are closer....I beat a laser speed trap this way.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander
    1970 Datsun 510 sedan (first car)

Yup the headlights are the second place they focus. The front plate is the first. This is why I haven't run a front plate for years, but I've paid hundreds in tickets for not having one. That's just a fine though and doesn't affect your insurance so I happily pay it. Another simple and effective thing you can do is have the right color car. Black is the toughest for them to get a good signal back from. The darker the better. But metallic paints reflect a lot more, so a metallic black paint will reflect much better than a regular black paint job. Silver metallic is like a mirror to a radar/laser gun.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.