Another Boost Gauge Thread-Troubleshooting
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another Boost Gauge Thread-Troubleshooting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I recently installed a Defi Racer boost gauge. Installation seemed to go well with the only issue being some ...

Red face Another Boost Gauge Thread-Troubleshooting

So I recently installed a Defi Racer boost gauge. Installation seemed to go well with the only issue being some difficulty in snaking the sensor wire from the engine bay into the cabin (although I got it eventually).

I turn the ignition and the gauge seems to be working normally; at idle the needle sits around -20 inHg. The problem is when on the thottle at most the needle jumps to 0, sometimes around 5 psi (but then quickly falls) if I really mash it.

I don't know if the gauge is defective, I installed it incorrectly, or I have a boost leak somewhere (although if the gauge is working that would mean I'm getting no boost at all, and wouldn't that be noticeable?).

I'm not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take pictures of your install
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah, I'll try to get some up today.

Shot of where I tapped the vacuum line using the T fitting that came with the gauge, and the Defi control unit secured near the firewall. All hoses are secured with cable ties.

Shot of fuse box. Ground wire is secured to a bolt on a bracket attached to the chasis. White wire tapped into ILM fuse. Orange wire tapped into IGN fuse. Red wire tapped into METER fuse.

Shots of the gauge, engine off and engine on at idle:

I can get the needle to go up to 10 psi, but only in 5th gear.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1.) Does the gauge have any adjustments?
    2.) Does the car run any different than it did before? I ask because you may have a leak now that you didn't before. If you have an accessport (or any live data reader), you can read what the computer is taking for a measurement and compare against your gauge to see if they are different. If they are the same, you have a leak now.
    3.) Does the needle hold at 10psi - or is that a spike that quickly goes away?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    1.) Does the gauge have any adjustments?
    No, I have this gauge, and you can't calibrate or adjust it.

To the OP, from what the pictures show, your wiring looks fine. When I installed this exact gauge in my car I used the clock wiring, since I did a three gauge pod, but what you're describing sounds more like a sensor issue than an electrical problem. I'd look at the sensor and tubing again to check for leaks.

I tapped the vacuum line coming into the intake manifold. I've read that that location gives more smooth readings, and I've never had a single issue with readings, but where you have it should work.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

1. No.
    2. I've been asking myself this question since I did the install and I can't say for sure. I do have an AccessPort and did some limited testing with it looking at the live boost numbers. The numbers seemed a little different, however I didnt notice the numbers going positive on the AccessPort under throttle either. I need to do more testing to confirm this. If its true, then I guess I do have a leak. The T fitting connections seem solid and the only other place would be at either end of the intercooler. Come to think of it, I did have a hard time fitting it back on the manifold. Would there be any other signs of a leak besides loss of power? Guess I'll have to recheck every connection.
    3. It seemed fairly steady, but I wasn't able to stay on the gas in 5th for that long (was in a residential neighborhood).

I tapped my t-fitting in the same location. It's just fine and is plenty smooth.

I think you have probably vacuum hose pinched somewhere. You may actually be boosting more than 10psi but because of the pinch the gauge isn't getting the right reading. Or there is a leak in the tubing maybe. It's going to suck to do this but if I were you I would re-trace the vacuum hose and just feel for it being pinched anywhere (likely through the firewall or in that area). Or tug on it gently and see if it has a lot of resistence (which will help find the pinch). It should normally be fairly loose.

Also, I like that gauge pod, very nice.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

The vacuum line doesn't go through the firewall. It connects to the Defi control module and a wire coming out of that goes through the firewall to the gauge. No chance of a pinch there.

I'm going to test some more with the accessport and maybe hook an air compressor up to the gauge hose to see if it actually works.

Oh, yeah, sorry for that. I guess I need to read more careful, sorry.

Well, at least to me that limits this to the hose itself having a crack or leak. Or else something random got knocked loose. But I think your wiring is all fine, it's just the sensor not getting a solid reading.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Well I data logged a 5 minute drive just now and there's most likely a boost leak. Boost values in the log correspond with what my gauge is reading, although strangely the gauge reads much higher vacuum than the accessport at idle. And the boost errors in the log are HUGE. Sometimes in the teens. AAAAAHHHHH!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To narrow it down, you could clamp off the T-fitting - and relog with the AP. If boost is working fine, then it was the hose to the gauge. If it is still not working, you keep looking at the other hoses you touched.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

what kind of pod are you using for that boost gauge?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1796
    "Now looks like a good time"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.