Want to change audio system

This is a discussion on Want to change audio system within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have a 6 cd changer in my 2002 wrx. No aux input, but want my ipod to be able to ...

Want to change audio system

Have a 6 cd changer in my 2002 wrx. No aux input, but want my ipod to be able to play through. Problem is I don't know what systems are compatible, and further what to do with the space in the dash installing a standard size system would leave. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The space can easily be filled in with a double din head unit. Double din units are very common just look around. I'm assuming you don't want to play around too much with the wiring and are just looking for a plug and play swap? talk to some local audio installers they can help although from what I gather most Scooby head units are interchangeable after '90.
    Last edited by DeadLeprechaun; 03-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Most any stereo will work with the correct installation wiring harness and most install kits for your car will include a pocket for the space if you are installing a single DIN stereo.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Thanks guys.
    Any suggestions on reasonably priced good systems.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd
    Thanks guys.
    Any suggestions on reasonably priced good systems.
    Go to a car audio store with a CD of your choice
    Look through their selection, and get hands-on experience with every deck/HU
    Choose the one that has the features you want/like and has intuitive controls/menus
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Go to a car audio store with a CD of your choice
    Look through their selection, and get hands-on experience with every deck/HU
    Choose the one that has the features you want/like and has intuitive controls/menus
    And then say thanks, and leave the store...and search for the same model that you like, online at usually a 30-40% cheaper price.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    And then say thanks, and leave the store...and search for the same model that you like, online at usually a 30-40% cheaper price.
    Agreed. Makes sense to see the actual item in person though instead of just blindly relying on reviews and such. My taste in speakers will differ from yours will differ from his

I Support ClubWRX
    I installed a Pionneer Premier head unit in my '03. I just bought the subaru wiring harness off ebay for $3, soldered the wires to the Pioneer harness, then plugged it in. Everything was clearly labeled, so assuming you can solder two wires together, its a piece of cake. The ipod USB port is on the back, so I bought a USB extension cord and ran that behind the dash, down the center console, and into the elbow storage area. I drilled a small hole in the box and pushed the USB port in there. The whole system looks really professional.

My unit is single-din, so I bought the Forester din pocket for $20 and installed that below the HU. It has a cover that is a near perfect match to the rest of the trim. The whole process only took an afternoon to do completely by myself.
    Last edited by Rambo; 03-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadLeprechaun View Post
    Agreed.
    I disagree but only mildly; see last edit. I do not go into a local store, waste their time with no intention of buying there, and then turn around and mail order. I do order online for all sorts of things, including audio-related things, but I'd recommend at least asking the local shop to price match the online price. If you count shipping and the delay, they may be worth your while anyway, and you'll have supported a local business (I did not mention saving tax, since at least in my state, we have to pay tax on online orders regardless of origin anyway, but yours may differ). If/when the locals close in greater numbers there will be little local expertise left. This is not to say local brick and mortar stores are all well stocked, fairly priced, and run by nobel laureates -- some carry only rubbish, are overpriced, and run by cretins... just like online sites. YMMV.

EDIT: To be fair I am looking for a head unit myself, and the locals are hopeless in price and attitude, so in my case at least Mickie13 is correct and I am wrong!
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-20-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I disagree but only mildly; see last edit. I do not go into a local store, waste their time with no intention of buying there, and then turn around and mail order. I do order online for all sorts of things, including audio-related things, but I'd recommend at least asking the local shop to price match the online price. If you count shipping and the delay, they may be worth your while anyway, and you'll have supported a local business (I did not mention saving tax, since at least in my state, we have to pay tax on online orders regardless of origin anyway, but yours may differ). If/when the locals close in greater numbers there will be little local expertise left. This is not to say local brick and mortar stores are all well stocked, fairly priced, and run by nobel laureates -- some carry only rubbish, are overpriced, and run by cretins... just like online sites. YMMV.

EDIT: To be fair I am looking for a head unit myself, and the locals are hopeless in price and attitude, so in my case at least Mickie13 is correct and I am wrong!
    I definitely understand where you are coming from. I am all in support of local businesses. I usually wouldn't go as far as asking their expertise. I would conduct most research online, and only look at it myself somewhere locally, even if it's a Best Buy or something. If someone approached me, I'd more than likely just say "no thank you, I'm just looking around" and proceed on my merry way.

One thing I do as well is look extensively for video reviews on places such as Youtube and CNet as they are plentiful for most HUs out there. They are usually pretty subjective and will give you a great idea of what you are looking at.

I had supported a few local endeavors with my first couple cars, but as I went on, learning further how to do it myself easily and more complete and with better quality, it saved me money in most ways. Prices for a lot of the local spots were rather outrageous, and the times they were open or available to do installs were just not convenient to my life in any way...so, I began to get into it myself. I can take apart the whole audio system of a 02-07 Impreza with ease now
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying