Subaru WRX Forum banner

interior subaru footwell lights

20K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  crash_lander 
#1 ·
Ok so I just got these from the dealer for about $50, the thought was that it would just mate up to the existing wires, which it appears that it does. But it is just 2 LED per footwell. I can't see this being very bright. Has anyone installed this? How does it look at night?

#5 ·
Funny you mention that, they plug into the same feed.. and you guessed it.. right behind that cubby led :D

The brightness is controlled by the dimmer switch, The brighter your dash, the brighter your accent lights. I've had mine in for a while now.. they're subtle but I keep the dimmer just about all the way down. If you run into trouble with where to mount em just give a shout and I'll post some pics ;)

#4 ·
i dont have youtube access due to IT restrictions, but there is a video tutorial that shows step by step how to install them. search for something like "wrx footwell light installtion"

#7 ·
I did it. 37.00 subaruparts.com. took about 45 min. Drivers side went in easy passenger side needs to go in backward. Use a stiff wire to fish wires from the drivers side to the passenger side. Looks great.

#13 ·
funny thing was thats the only way it fit.. the verbal part of the directions explain it that way.. but the drawing was all dicked up.. dunno. I wish the driver side fit more flush, if I get the motivation to mess with something that trivial I'll mill the hole a little more so it will sit flush lol... but otherwise thats about it. Getting the wiring from the light locations to behind the cubby is pretty easy, I removed the radio trim/radio and hvac controls and it was easy as reaching in. Without poppin that stuff out you better have some really skinny/long hands n arms.

#15 ·
Dunno but where would you put them in the back? Mango, I used a stiff wire and pulled the wire from the cubbie to the passenger side, would have pulled all the plastic had it not worked on the second try, lol.

#16 ·
#25 ·
Keep trying and your aim will improve! :D ;)

Take off/out glove compartment (pop dash side panel out first, the one facing the door), once that's out remove LED assy bottom mid-dash (the one where you would connect wiring harness into). I believe that LED assy needs to be pushed to the side and then pulled down/away from the dash (push it a little towards driver side and then try gently prying & pulling that edge out), practice on the glove compartment LED, it's essentially identical.

Connect new harness inline and then start stuffing the passenger side into the dash, it helps a lot if you can look into the side of the dash once glove compartment is out, have to sort of feel it with your fingers and go by touch.

Driver's side appears to be easier, but again you'll have to do it by touch. Stick your head under the dash as you're moving the harness back and fourth and see if you can detect movement.

It's a pain but unfortunately I can't think of an easier way.

#27 ·
I used a semi stiff wire and feed it though the passenger side under the plastic. Make sure the wire is about 2 feet long. Feed it thought til you can grap it on the other side. then wrap the wire around the connector and slowly pull the wire back

#33 ·
yes.. had a set of these and somehow they walked away on me... if I find the guy that has em I'ma break all his thefting phalanges. ;)

Either way I need to acquire another set.

Thanks mango stick
;) welcome.

#37 ·
I installed mine over this past weekend. Was a b*tch of a job, but my buddy and I managed after an hour. You will find it easier to remove the center console and everything else and use a hanger to fish the main wire that is next to the cig lighter.

I wish the passenger side would have a different fitting because the backwards install is ackward and doesn't seem as bright? Maybe I have to tweak it a bit more and hide the wire with a cleaner look??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.