interior subaru footwell lights - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on interior subaru footwell lights within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Must be having amnesia.I asked this question before but didn't get down to emailing the guy.Doing it now http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/person...ation-kit.html...

I Support ClubWRX
    Must be having amnesia.I asked this question before but didn't get down to emailing the guy.Doing it now footwell ilumination kit
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikebravo01 View Post
    Dunno but where would you put them in the back? Mango, I used a stiff wire and pulled the wire from the cubbie to the passenger side, would have pulled all the plastic had it not worked on the second try, lol.
    I kinda just fed the wires down n through and then over with my hands. Then zip tied them up out of the way. Did that on both sides.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Just to slightly hijack the thread - when I was under the dash on the passenger side during this kit install I came across some wires just tucked behind floor trim. Any ideas what these are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery_conns.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	96140
    "At dawn they sleep..."

on my legacy you connected those when you used the access port.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

What was Cobb using these for? Was it connected in-line or just to one connector?

on my legacy you connected those when you used the access port.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

It is a male and a female right, If I remember correctly you connected them to put the car in test mode, when you marry the unit to the car and down load the intial map.

Yep, they're a matching pair. I wonder if that's how dealers enable tweaks for Subie-specific settings via OBDII for non-Nav models.

It is a male and a female right, If I remember correctly you connected them to put the car in test mode, when you marry the unit to the car and down load the intial map.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar
    Aim having the hardest time installing these.... Ahhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i dont have youtube access due to IT restrictions, but there is a video tutorial that shows step by step how to install them. search for something like "wrx footwell light installtion"
    Hey. Can't find the video you were talking about.. Would really appreciate it if you could post itup for us/me.

Keep trying and your aim will improve!

Take off/out glove compartment (pop dash side panel out first, the one facing the door), once that's out remove LED assy bottom mid-dash (the one where you would connect wiring harness into). I believe that LED assy needs to be pushed to the side and then pulled down/away from the dash (push it a little towards driver side and then try gently prying & pulling that edge out), practice on the glove compartment LED, it's essentially identical.

Connect new harness inline and then start stuffing the passenger side into the dash, it helps a lot if you can look into the side of the dash once glove compartment is out, have to sort of feel it with your fingers and go by touch.

Driver's side appears to be easier, but again you'll have to do it by touch. Stick your head under the dash as you're moving the harness back and fourth and see if you can detect movement.

It's a pain but unfortunately I can't think of an easier way.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011REXRoyalBlu View Post
    Aim having the hardest time installing these.... Ahhhhhh
    "At dawn they sleep..."

I used a semi stiff wire and feed it though the passenger side under the plastic. Make sure the wire is about 2 feet long. Feed it thought til you can grap it on the other side. then wrap the wire around the connector and slowly pull the wire back

I would strongly suggest removing the glove box, it really helps. It should be the only thing you need to remove, if anything. You can obviously remove the stereo, trim and ducting but it's really not necessary.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    funny thing was thats the only way it fit.. the verbal part of the directions explain it that way.. but the drawing was all ****ed up.. dunno. I wish the driver side fit more flush, if I get the motivation to mess with something that trivial I'll mill the hole a little more so it will sit flush lol... but otherwise thats about it. Getting the wiring from the light locations to behind the cubby is pretty easy, I removed the radio trim/radio and hvac controls and it was easy as reaching in. Without poppin that stuff out you better have some really skinny/long hands n arms.
    How do you remove the dash trim and radio head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by 2011REXRoyalBlu View Post
    How do you remove the dash trim and radio head unit?
    Thin dull putty knife.. see below

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=PICT0001.mp4

I actually removed the radio trim and the vents out vs removing the glove box. From the top you can see/access lots of spots you cant with the radio trim and vents in place. Makes it a lot easier to get at.
    Last edited by mangostick; 03-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.