Headlight Switch Wire 2011 WRX, for Boost Gauge? What color and where?

This is a discussion on Headlight Switch Wire 2011 WRX, for Boost Gauge? What color and where? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anyone tell me what the correct colorwire is for the headight switch wire? I used fuse #14 but when ...

Headlight Switch Wire 2011 WRX, for Boost Gauge? What color and where?

Can anyone tell me what the correct colorwire is for the headight switch wire? I used fuse #14 but when i put on the windshield wipers the gauge goes back to white from red, something is dwitching the circutry so I am looking for hte headlight wire under the column please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Later today I'll try to get a pic of what I tapped into. I had a lot of difficulty getting the right source...a lot of the info I gleamed from the internet wasn't accurate. Eventually I found a 08+ STI boost gauge install thread where there were a few options listed.

I do remember that I didn't tap any fuses. Above the fusebox there is a thick collection of wires...I tapped those. My gut says it was violet (light pink-purple) but let me look when I can get away from my desk.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Anxiouz, can you post any links to the threads you used or anything? I'm going to be installing 2 gauges in the next few weeks and have been trying to find decent DIY guides, but haven't found anything too great other than this one:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...gauge-dyi.html
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I seemed to have gotten rid of my bookmark. It was very difficult for me to find a How-To that used the fuse-box area for taping wires. I thought it would be more common but since the clock has it's wires labelled I think people just go for that.

And that thread is no good for what we need if you want to tap in on the left-side of the steering column.

I'll see if I can walk out to my car in a bit and get some pics. I do remember that the thread(s) that I did find helpful were all 08 STI threads. So extend your search to something like "08 STI gauge power" with "dimmer" or "foglight". That led me to what I needed...someone suggested not taping the dimmer knob but rather just using that block of wires above the fuse box. Then my headache was over.

Walked out to the car...can get at the wiring (easily) to get a decent pic. But I did find these:

Depending on your gauge, this may be helpful:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/mod-boost-...09-t12055.html

That wiring wasn't what I used though.

Another nicely written but not helpful:
    Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - How To: MadDad boost gauge install 08 STI

Ah, but this looks more like what I used:
    Post: How To: Swoosh Boost Gauge Install 2008 WRX STI - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    Pic: Picasa Web Albums - Steven H - Gauge Install...
    Colors: Picasa Web Albums - Steven H - Gauge Install...

I think that bold one may have been what got me in the right direction.

Thanks for posting the links. I was just browsing around in IWSTI and saw that MadDog install. The pdf file he made was actually pretty good IMO.

I wanted to add all my wiring into the fusebox, so that works well for me.

Any reason you chose to tap into other wires other than adding the fuse taps?

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Just a creature of habit I guess. I've almost always tapped into stereo wiring in previous cars so I'm used to doing that. I haven't added fuses/piggy-backed on fuses before so I just went with what I was familiar with. I intended to but after hitting 2 part stores for add-a-fuses and not finding any, I gave up.

Yea I've always just tapped into stereo wiring too. I saw a few installs that added the fuse taps and I kind of like how neat and clean the installs are, and the fact that all your wiring is right there, so if something were to ever go wrong you don't have to tear apart the dash again.

I'll give it a try when I go to do mine. If I feel motivated enough maybe I'll take a bunch of tips and write up a DIY.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX