2011 stereo question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 stereo question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to upgrade from the stock head unit (non-touchscreen) to a touchscreen with navigation. The problem I'm having is ...

Registered User tyrannosauruswrx's Avatar

2011 stereo question

I'm looking to upgrade from the stock head unit (non-touchscreen) to a touchscreen with navigation. The problem I'm having is that I want to be able to keep using both the bluetooth/steering wheel buttons and the usb/auxillary inputs in the center console. So far I've been unable to find one like this on Crutchfield, most of them can retain only one or the other. Has anyone here already replaced theirs and if so, which head unit did you use? Also, would it just be better to run the stock stereo to an amp and just upgrade the speakers? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you're gonna lose the stock bluetooth for sure. there are harnesses that you can purchase that will allow you to keep the steering wheel controls. thats just the nature of aftermarket stereos i guess.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I also thought about this initially, but I love my stock Bluetooth, steering wheel controls and USB ports too much.

*Edit* Check out one of the reviews...a Subie guy. Anyone here have experience with this unit?

Works good, Installed in my 2011 Subaru STI Limited with Navigation for a clean signal to a Boston 475 amp that powers 600C Alpine speakers. I set it up with the master volume knob then disconnected it and use to stereo volume. So far I'm happy with it.

Registered User tyrannosauruswrx's Avatar
    Does the cleansweep add any power to the signal? Or just clean it up?

Would the best way to go about it be keeping my stock head unit, running an amp from that, and then upgrading all speakers? I don't know too much about car audio if you couldn't tell

I Support ClubWRX
    The cleansweep does not add any power.All it does is flatten the signal so that you can send it to an amp.It is primary designed for you to keep your head unit , steering controls & connectors. .Upgrading speakers would help as well.
    There is some confusion regarding the volume control.There is a master control knob included with the processor.The instructions say that you should be able to keep using steering volume control once you have calibrated the system.I do not have one yet,but there have been negative reviews concerning this.I don't know if this is car specific but if you go to the reviews on that site the reviewer(2011 sti owner) says this has not been a problem.
    Another positive with this set up is it deters thieves.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrannosauruswrx
    Does the cleansweep add any power to the signal? Or just clean it up?

Would the best way to go about it be keeping my stock head unit, running an amp from that, and then upgrading all speakers? I don't know too much about car audio if you couldn't tell
    It depends what you're looking for.

The OE H/U doesn't offer the tune-ability that an aftermarket one does, so you'll still be limited. You'd be better keeping the OE speakers (run off an amp) and going aftermarket with the H/U and sub, IMO...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.