My First Mods!

This is a discussion on My First Mods! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got a nice little bonus from work, and I'm going to be responsible with some of it, but ...

My First Mods!

So I got a nice little bonus from work, and I'm going to be responsible with some of it, but I have never tuned a car or bought any parts and I figure now is as good a time as any. So i wanted to get some opinions about my first planned mods.

1. STi short throw shifter and bushings from the dealer
    2. SPT boost gauge
    3. SPT sport grille

Let me know what you think, or if there is something else I can/should get.
    Stink-Eye Mob #84

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would suggest an aftermarket shifter/bushing kit and boost gauge. I have a kartboy SS and all bushings and I think it has a better feel than the factory short shifter. I have heard (but have no experience with) the SPT boost gauge is pretty worthless and you'd be better off with another brand and save some money. I think they are good first mods, I would just use different brands. I would also suggest a stage 1 tune if you can swing the cost. It would make for a completly different car and compliment the bushings and shifter
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I don't think I am going to go stage 1 because I am afraid of voiding the warranty. I have heard good things about the kartboy shifter and bushings too. Aftermarket gauges are a great idea, I just want them to match the interior and the lights. I'm anal about that
    Stink-Eye Mob #84

What year/model do you have? There aren't many gauges that match the 08+ clusters. The red backing with white needle is rare. I found one at one point but hated the actual gauge. Plus it was in BAR which I can live with but def prefer PSI. I forget the brand/model though...

Older Subies are easy to match. With my 06 STI cluster (in an 02 bugeye WRX) the STRI gauge matched perfectly and was cheap.

Either way I would DEFINITELY go aftermarket for a gauge. I got my GlowShift for like $35 shipped or something. The red backing color doesn't match too well (it's too dark) but I prefer the blue-purple-whatever it is color anyway. And then I can press a button to make it red or blue or green whenever I want. I use the light blue for daytime since it reads better, then leave the default dark blue-purple at night which is really nice and subtle.

If you don't think you can do the install yourself, post a thread in the local forum and provide beer. Done.

Also, I'm going Kartboy shortshifter + bushings in the coming weeks. It's A+ all the way from every person who's installed it.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I have a 2010 WRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #84

k. I had a lot of trouble matching an aftermarket boost gauge to the 08+ cluster. So you either need to pony up the absurd amount of money for the SPT to match (at least the red), or save $150+ and have something else.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I think i will go for the Kartboy shifter and bushings for sure. I haven't read a bad review of them, plus a found a killer deal on the shifter, bushings, and shift knob on fastwrx.com. I think I will save the $150 too and try to get aftermarket gauges. Love the tail light overlays. I want them!
    Stink-Eye Mob #84