Running power through firewall

This is a discussion on Running power through firewall within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Didn't search around too much on this, but do not remember ever seeing much on it. I was ...

I Support ClubWRX

Running power through firewall

Hey guys,

Didn't search around too much on this, but do not remember ever seeing much on it. I was curious to see how you guys have ran wires through the firewall. Do they have some spare holes in there?

I also do not know if this has changed over the years (part of the reason I didn't bother to search around more). 2011 in question though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know the 02-07s have a grommet just up under the dash, kind of behind the steering wheel. I also believe there is one similarly on the other side behind the glovebox...I imagine the new ones would have something similar.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

There's usually a few spots wires come through the firewall, generally two below the front door top hinge mounting points on the sides of the car, plus another 1-2 running through the true firewall.

If none of those work, drill your own. You can buy those rubber grommets to seal the hole at any number of places. If you drill, make sure you prime the bare metal around the hole and preferably throw some real paint on there too.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I know the 02-07s have a grommet just up under the dash, kind of behind the steering wheel. I also believe there is one similarly on the other side behind the glovebox...I imagine the new ones would have something similar.
    +1

I used this one to run the power to my sub on my bugeye.

The one by the steering wheel enters the car just above the brake pedal.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    There's usually a few spots wires come through the firewall, generally two below the front door top hinge mounting points on the sides of the car, plus another 1-2 running through the true firewall.

If none of those work, drill your own. You can buy those rubber grommets to seal the hole at any number of places. If you drill, make sure you prime the bare metal around the hole and preferably throw some real paint on there too.
    Thanks for all the tips guys. My friend was actually asking me and I told him to pop the hood and look (mine is still in Japan somewhere... the car equivalent of a fertilized egg I guess), but I thought I'd get some opinions on what you guys did.

I always try to avoid drilling holes in firewalls. It's just prone to rust no matter how well I prep it I feel. All said and done, its normally easier to get it through another one depending on wire gauge. It is a technique I should just get down. Maybe I'll do some reading and do a write up on it eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I have a 2011 and noticed these 3 grommet options when putting in my boost gauge. I'll summarize the most common choices including what others have already mentioned:

1 - Behind the intercooler (which needs to be removed to access). This feeds down behind the center console and IMO would be easy from the engine bay side but difficult to grab/feed from inside the car. I'm still not clear on where the interior grommet is.

2 - Above and behind the brake pedal. This one you can see just by looking at the pedals. It's easy from inside the car but I had trouble seeing where it comes out in the engine bay.

3 - To the left and above the dead pedal. This feeds up into the fender which has a ton of space to work in and is super easy to access and get up into the engine bay.

I went with option 3 (and tapped into the wiring above the dimmer knob for power) but would only recommend this grommet choice if your gauge/item needing power is located to the left or on top of the steering column. Otherwise you'd need some looong wires and hoses.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)