'11 WRX - Front Passenger side buzz/rattle

This is a discussion on '11 WRX - Front Passenger side buzz/rattle within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; (Asked this at NASIOC two weeks ago, no answer) I am not sure exactly where, but do any of the ...

'11 WRX - Front Passenger side buzz/rattle

(Asked this at NASIOC two weeks ago, no answer)

I am not sure exactly where, but do any of the '11 WRX owners experience a buzz-rattle (tick) coming from passenger side door 'area'?

I am not even quite sure if it's front door because it sounds like the inside of the door or seatbelt adjusting pillar or even back passenger side door. Somewhere around there.

It's not the speaker buzz b/c it happens when car is moving with no audio.

I mean I can take it to the dealer but they don't give a deng if it's brand new, I know they gonna be careless and be rough with taking the door off and such.

I will probably end up with new rattle. So I will probably gonna check it myself. But before opening it up I want to know if this is common problem.

thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very common from what I've heard and I also have the issue. I considered taking it to the dealership but I have the same issue you do with taking it there...I generally don't trust mechanics (and I worked in a shop while I was in high school).

Let me know if you find any good solutions.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I have it too. Planning on using Dynamat this spring to eliminate as many rattles as possible.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Dynamat? What's that like sound deadner?

When I open the panels to check it out I also plan to do this mod
    http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...cs-20069.html?

B/c the speakers on the base model are TERRIBLE. Buzzing like crazy.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkpark View Post
    Dynamat? What's that like sound deadner?
    Precisely.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

KHP
    I've heard a lot of good things about Dynamat. The only issue is you're pretty much paying an arm and a leg for the name. You guys should check out "eDead" by edesignaudio they make great deadening products for the fraction of the price. I can say from personal experience that they work just as well as Dynamat.

Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics

k01
    Had the same problem on my new '11 WRX hatch. Took it to dealer. Dealer said the cause was a loose plastic guard. They removed right front and rear inner door panels, installed foam padding and insulated to correct the rattling. All is good now. I'm happy.

same problem here. 2011 wrx hatch. If someone finds a solution (besides taking to dealer) please post! Thanks.

I have had a rattle since I bought this car in my doors. I took it to the dealer at first and they pulled it apart and said it looked fine and that it was an issue with those cars. "You don't buy this car for the radio and noise, you buy it for fun"... Yeah right. Then they put a CD in a show room STI and showed me that it rattled also.

Here is what I did over the weekend to fix this issue.

I bought 4 sheets of RoadblockR for about $105 shipped. Took about 2 days to get to the house.
    Spent most of the day on Saturday removing the four door panels but got it quiet and rattle free.

First thing I notice that was causing me an issue was attached to the door panel is a 4 x 4 inch plastic square, not sure of it purpose, that seems to rest against the door which has piece of waffle looking plastic attached. These two pieces seem to rattle like crazy when they are in the door so I put some foam tape on it to create a buffer between it. The second thing I did was to take the RoadblockR and coated most of the interior portion of the door and then also completely coated the portion of the door where the vapor barrier was.

After a couple days of driving it is rattle free. Some of the road noise is gone and the factory radio sounds better. Oh and I can now crank the radio as loud as I want and not rattles and clear sound. Best $100 invested yet.

k01
    Quote Originally Posted by riotrob View Post
    I have had a rattle since I bought this car in my doors. I took it to the dealer at first and they pulled it apart and said it looked fine and that it was an issue with those cars. "You don't buy this car for the radio and noise, you buy it for fun"... Yeah right. Then they put a CD in a show room STI and showed me that it rattled also.

Here is what I did over the weekend to fix this issue.

I bought 4 sheets of RoadblockR for about $105 shipped. Took about 2 days to get to the house.
    Spent most of the day on Saturday removing the four door panels but got it quiet and rattle free.

First thing I notice that was causing me an issue was attached to the door panel is a 4 x 4 inch plastic square, not sure of it purpose, that seems to rest against the door which has piece of waffle looking plastic attached. These two pieces seem to rattle like crazy when they are in the door so I put some foam tape on it to create a buffer between it. The second thing I did was to take the RoadblockR and coated most of the interior portion of the door and then also completely coated the portion of the door where the vapor barrier was.

After a couple days of driving it is rattle free. Some of the road noise is gone and the factory radio sounds better. Oh and I can now crank the radio as loud as I want and not rattles and clear sound. Best $100 invested yet.
    That sounds like a great dealer!

That 4x4 piece must be the guard that was loose in my door. Without the buzz/rattle the speakers really do sound much better and I just drive without that annoying noise. The radio still isn't great but a CD or a source through the USB port now sound pretty decent.