where to run lines for a boost gauge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on where to run lines for a boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up a boost gauge today and I am going to make a custom mount for it somewhere ...

where to run lines for a boost gauge

I just picked up a boost gauge today and I am going to make a custom mount for it somewhere on the steering wheel column. I am wondering where to run the vacuum lines into the engine compartment. Also where is the best place to run the electrical wires to. I am sure there is a thread on this but I couldn't find it.
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There should be a gromet on the fire wall, the hose will go in through there. I tied mine off to some of the hard lines on the powersteering and brakes before entering the cabin, after that it tucks under the dash pretty well.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

if you search on google, you may be able to find video how to's for the installation.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by STANDO View Post
    There should be a gromet on the fire wall, the hose will go in through there. I tied mine off to some of the hard lines on the powersteering and brakes before entering the cabin, after that it tucks under the dash pretty well.
    +1 to this, what i had done was just poke a hole small enough for the tube to go through( and not hinder the tube) and re-install the gromet then just thread it it up ( i have colum guage cluster) but steering looks clean too, depending on what guage you went with just be aware of the steering wheel tilt and placement of the guage,

I went through the grommet to the left of the dead pedal, up through the fender, and then along the back of the engine bay. That was the easiest route IMO.

I tapped into the wires above the fuse box for power. I actually had a really difficult time finding out which wires so let me go dig up my notes. The solution was somebody's 2008 STI thread that gave me the right wire(s) to tap. Google wasn't friendly since most people add new fuses or most commonly tap into the clock since those wires are labeled. Not as many people tap the dimmer knob area.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

^^^^ Dimmer knob is a good idea, wish i would of thought of that im runnin 3 guages and just modified a seperte dimmer for them so not to hard on the eyes when night driving, tappin in may have saved some time and headache

How do you run the wire to a pillar pod, I was just looking at them and they seem to be the easiest mounting system. How much of the interior do you need to remove to get to the back of the a-pillar
    2004 wrx remo red. mods; up-pipe, muffler delete with costume axel back exhaust, big ass mid-pipe leak (loud as hell, result of up-pipe install :P)

Quote Originally Posted by bushman95 View Post
    How do you run the wire to a pillar pod, I was just looking at them and they seem to be the easiest mounting system. How much of the interior do you need to remove to get to the back of the a-pillar
    super easy, all i did was pop the 3 plastic rivets that hold the plastic piece of the a pilliar on, the guages i used were a bit large for the mounting to sit flush so i actually cut the stock plastic a pilliar piece so the guages would be fully recessed w/ the pod that i have, running wires was super easy and accesable, used some double sided sticky tape to hold the pod to the stock piece then two screws to secure and then simply popped the piece back on and i love the look

Did you have to drill a hole into the side pillar I am trying not to damage it. I could only find a black pod so I will probably paint the whole pillar black, or the pod gray. How did you get the wires up through the dash board? Is there just a hole they fit through?

Did you have to drill a hole into the side pillar I am trying not to damage it. I could only find a black pod so I will probably paint the whole pillar black, or the pod gray. How did you get the wires up through the dash board? Is there just a hole they fit through?
    If you want it to be secure you will need to drill some holes in the stock piece, you can use double sided tape but thats kind a gamble, i personally completly destroyed the stock piece but got a replacement if i take it off for cheap,

The wires slide right throught a lil spot in the dash, from underneath there are 2 trim pieces to remove and you will see the pass, i used an electonics "snake" little glow in the dark stick w/ a clip on the end to pull wires through made it very easy, the pod completly covers the stock one and is also covered by weather stripping and liner on winsheild cant see the underneath piece as well from outside.. Well for the 3 tiered pod, there is also a 2 tier pod out there but kinda looks goofy unless painted imo

I just got a single pod, I only need a boost gauge. I will just dig around untill I get the wires through. You said you got a replacement a-pillar, you mean an oem one? my dad will be pissed if I don't get a replacement one now.

Hit the classifieds and find someone parting out a wrecked car and make an offer on their a-pillar. Since you have to drill/cut it to get the wires/hose through, there will be an ugly hole if you ever remove anything.

As for snaking wires, if you open the driver door there are a bunch of plastic panels on the side that all just pop off. If you take them off then you can feed things upwards easier. It's less difficult when you can see what you're doing. Or feed the wires *down* from the a-pillar and then get near the pedals and look up with a flashlight and see if you can grab them.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I just got a single pod, I only need a boost gauge. I will just dig around untill I get the wires through. You said you got a replacement a-pillar, you mean an oem one? my dad will be pissed if I don't get a replacement one now.
    well if you have just a single is it for the a pillar? if not you can remove the stock piece feed the wires through and use some double sided tape to adhere it right in the corner there so not exactly on the a pillar but more on dash, ive seen this and its a clean look as well w/o getting to cluttered in your dash guages, then just pop the oem a pilliar back on no drilling or cutting required you would just see a lil of the wires coming from pod to dash .. just my .02

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Only use ELECTRICAL gauges in the a-pillar pod. Tubing for boost gauges or manual water temp, or even pyrometer or tough, and the lines have to be squished into the seam where the dash mounts up..... anything thicker than just regular wire is diffuicult.

Clock pods are much easier... as you can run it through the grommet on the firewall. I like the one just above the brake pedal.... it ias about an inch in diameter, and is high up enough so you wont see it.

To wire.... use the factory stereo harness... the wires are already color codes, and you can vampire clip them... piece of cake.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Only use ELECTRICAL gauges in the a-pillar pod. Tubing for boost gauges or manual water temp, or even pyrometer or tough, and the lines have to be squished into the seam where the dash mounts up..... anything thicker than just regular wire is diffuicult.

Clock pods are much easier... as you can run it through the grommet on the firewall. I like the one just above the brake pedal.... it ias about an inch in diameter, and is high up enough so you wont see it.

To wire.... use the factory stereo harness... the wires are already color codes, and you can vampire clip them... piece of cake.
    Im runnin boost on the apillar and had no issue at all, no kink at all and the only bend was from the firewall up other than that it was a straight shot up w/ plenty of room

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast