2011 WRX sedan. Vibrating sound coming from rear windsheild/roof area - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX sedan. Vibrating sound coming from rear windsheild/roof area within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 funny.... I didn't notice the rattling on my back deck until I fixed my door rattles ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    funny.... I didn't notice the rattling on my back deck until I fixed my door rattles - because they were too loud! Now I hear the deck rattling, I will try your solution and see what I get.

Wow.. this forum is littered with people complaining about rattles, yet SOA tells me "no one has told us we are having rattle issues in the new 2011 models."
    If you guys haven't figured out, these cars are made with the intention of being light. The skimping on materials and sound insulation is meant to reduce weight. I too am annoyed by the rattles...but you know what, instead of complain...I fixed it. I was appalled at the fact that I buy a brand new car and there are sweaks and rattles. If I wanted a cushy, comfortable crusier, I would have bought a Caddy.

Good ideas on the batting and thanks for the tip on the door panel....that one has been pissing me off for months.
    Stock '09 WRX

"Your job gives you authority. Your behaviour gives you respect"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have noticed a rattle which only appears doing a certain speed in a certain gear which must be the right combination to cause the vibration, sounds like it's coming from the package shelf, it's not too much of a worry, but at least i have a good idea now what is causing it from others experience.
    Last edited by Black11wrx; 02-17-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willoc View Post
    This fix is real easy - had the same problem on mine too. I took some small strips of batting (yes from the sewing dept at Walmart) - cut it to about 2"x6". Open trunk and look under the package shelf (that's what they used to call it!) you will see a hole cut in the sheet metal it's about 3" diameter. This hole has nothing in it, the other holes already have sound dampening material inside them. Stuff strips of batting, shop rags, newspaper, whatever the heck you want to use into that hole. It will fill the gap between sheet metal and package shelf. It doesn't take much, 4-5 strips of material should do the trick.

My other fix for the front door rattles when stereo cranked up is easy too. Remove door panel. Remove white plastic baffles and throw in trash. Install door panel. Rattle gone...
    I've got the same issue in my sedan... will be trying this fix once the tempature gets above 0 degrees f.

Quote Originally Posted by willoc View Post
    This fix is real easy - had the same problem on mine too. I took some small strips of batting (yes from the sewing dept at Walmart) - cut it to about 2"x6". Open trunk and look under the package shelf (that's what they used to call it!) you will see a hole cut in the sheet metal it's about 3" diameter. This hole has nothing in it, the other holes already have sound dampening material inside them. Stuff strips of batting, shop rags, newspaper, whatever the heck you want to use into that hole. It will fill the gap between sheet metal and package shelf. It doesn't take much, 4-5 strips of material should do the trick.

My other fix for the front door rattles when stereo cranked up is easy too. Remove door panel. Remove white plastic baffles and throw in trash. Install door panel. Rattle gone...
    Had my car for a day and it was the first thing I noticed (rattle) so I stuck a rag in the middle 'hole' in the trunk and it's gone lol.

Dude, for now just stick a rag in the middle pre-cut hole from underneath the plastic trim (in trunk) and it'll be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by soobie View Post
    Dude, for now just stick a rag in the middle pre-cut hole from underneath the plastic trim (in trunk) and it'll be gone.
    Only temporarily if you don't do a more comprehensive fix. I've been there, done that and ended up pulling out the rear deck and lining it with insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Only temporarily if you don't do a more comprehensive fix. I've been there, done that and ended up pulling out the rear deck and lining it with insulation.
    Hey economatic, was the rear deck or parcel shelf easy to pull out, what was involved, i may need to do this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Black11wrx View Post
    Hey economatic, was the rear deck or parcel shelf easy to pull out, what was involved, i may need to do this soon.
    Wasn't too difficult. The biggest problem was getting the side panels off--IIRC the trick was to pull perpendicular to the orientation of the panel to release the clip. It is a strong metal clip you it takes a bit of muscle. Also make sure you put something on the edge of the rear of the panel so it doesn't scrape the defroster lines and/or tint. After the side panels are off you j ust have to find all the clips with the seats folded down and get the bolts behind the side airbag emblems (carefully pry it out with a small screwdriver). While you have everything apart take your time and find all the places where plastic might rub or vibrate then line it with something. I found some clear 3M double-sided tape that worked well. I say take your time bc I was in a rush when doing my car and still have a rattle that comes out to play when it gets cold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12