Ground issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ground issue within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a JL audio amp powering a single sub and my 4 door speakers (not sure what model), It ...

Ground issue

I have a JL audio amp powering a single sub and my 4 door speakers (not sure what model), It was professionally installed a few years ago. After about a year of operation, I began to hear a whine that changed pitch with RPM. It only comes form the right rear speaker. So ive looked all around my gauge wiring, and the engine compartment for any loose wires or something that would cause this problem, and I cant figure it out, and its getting really annoying. What, if anything, should I try to fix this problem. tnx
    06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just tell anyone in your car that you are twin charged, you have a turbo and a supercharger!
    STIzzy!

I Support ClubWRX
    Buzz, ya ever manage to fix this one up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah engine whine is commonly a grounding issue. Quick check: does your amp's power or ground wire run parallel to your speaker wire anywhere? If your speakers are running on low power and your sub amp is high power it could be able to interfere with the speaker and cause noise.
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by hamz01 View Post
    Yeah engine whine is commonly a grounding issue. Quick check: does your amp's power or ground wire run parallel to your speaker wire anywhere? If your speakers are running on low power and your sub amp is high power it could be able to interfere with the speaker and cause noise.
    Hmm, I havent thought of that yet, But if it was the sub, why would it produce a whine with the engine? Also ive only got 1, 8 inch sub, so no need for huge amperage or anything. But ill take a look around and see if anything is running to close together.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Buzz, ya ever manage to fix this one up?
    No, I haven't had many replies yet.
    Last edited by Buzz; 12-03-2010 at 05:52 AM.
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)

well...

if your only hearing it from one speaker switch to another speaker still there? bad filter cap in amp? Gone? then bad speaker... switch rca's is it that channel? Bad filter cap in amp... If it were making the whine in all speakers bad filter cap in amp power supply ... or alternator starting to loose rectifier circuit.... An alternator makes AC voltage that is passed thru a 4 diode rectifier to convert to DC ... Either your speaker cable is shorted or bad channel or output to that speaker... hope it helps...
    finally someone who aint a hatter thanks buddy maybe ill sup youre car up for free i like people that dont hate being as tho me getting this money all i run into is jealous people now in days ... FastazzwrX.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndSuby View Post
    if your only hearing it from one speaker switch to another speaker still there? bad filter cap in amp? Gone? then bad speaker... switch rca's is it that channel? Bad filter cap in amp... If it were making the whine in all speakers bad filter cap in amp power supply ... or alternator starting to loose rectifier circuit.... An alternator makes AC voltage that is passed thru a 4 diode rectifier to convert to DC ... Either your speaker cable is shorted or bad channel or output to that speaker... hope it helps...
    Thinking that it may be a bad speaker, I replaced both of the rear speakers last month. Its still in the right speaker and the right speaker only (rear). SO perhaps the theory of a bad filter thingy in the amp is a possibility. Not sure what you mean by switch RCAs, do you mean putting the cables from another speaker in to that output on the amp? and listening? I guess that would be a good way to check if the wire is shorted. I guess ill try that next.

Hmm, I havent thought of that yet, But if it was the sub, why would it produce a whine with the engine? Also ive only got 1, 8 inch sub, so no need for huge amperage or anything. But ill take a look around and see if anything is running to close together.
    Oh I'm sorry, I interpreted the post as your sub was amped and your speakers were not amped and were running off head unit power. So your JL amp is a five channel or something? Still worth checking if the power wire is near your speaker wire, but amped speaker wire is generally not susceptible to interference in that way.

Not sure what you mean by switch RCAs, do you mean putting the cables from another speaker in to that output on the amp? and listening? I guess that would be a good way to check if the wire is shorted. I guess ill try that next.
    If you have a 5 channel amp you'll have a bunch of RCA cables going into it. Switch up the speaker RCAs (remembering where they were originally if they're not labelled) and see if the whine changes location. Do this without messing with speaker wire. If whine moves, RCA or head unit problem. If whine doesn't move, put the RCAs back to their original locations and move the speaker wires. Then If whine moves, likely an internal amp problem.
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by hamz01 View Post
    If you have a 5 channel amp you'll have a bunch of RCA cables going into it. Switch up the speaker RCAs (remembering where they were originally if they're not labelled) and see if the whine changes location. Do this without messing with speaker wire. If whine moves, RCA or head unit problem. If whine doesn't move, put the RCAs back to their original locations and move the speaker wires. Then If whine moves, likely an internal amp problem.
    Excellent troubleshooting advice. Do this.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, car audio whines are probably the hardest part of car audio. Hard to track down. Its easy to just try a bunch of things to see if they fix it, but in the end ya gotta make a puzzle up to localize the problem. Gotta switch components around in clever ways normally to see where the issue is.

For what its worth, there are small internal fuses by rca connections for grounds. In HUs... specifically pioneers... they blow if you mess with RCAs while power is connected a lot. I have my rcas manually grounded with a wire wrapped around the outside of the shield. If you just swap the rcas around on your amp, should help you identify where the issue is.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.