help installing a turbo timer?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on help installing a turbo timer? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; sorry if this is in the wrong fourm, i recently got given a turnbo timer i dont see a brand ...

help installing a turbo timer?

sorry if this is in the wrong fourm, i recently got given a turnbo timer i dont see a brand on it or anything, it has a earth wire, brown wire and a plug, is there somewhere in my car this should simply plug into and be earthd? i have a 96 wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you will first need a wiring harness for that specific year, if its a hks or apexi the hks wiring harness that sells on e-bay for like 20 $ will work fine, is it a pen style turbo timer(small and slender) or kinda a box looking one?

Now in all reality we dont need them on our turbo's but some have other specifications as well as batt level and a/f ratio depending on brand so they arent totally useless

yeh its pen style and does have the battery stuff on it, ill go down to the shop and see about getting a harness once i do would it be a easy diy?

Yes, much easier with the harness.

^^+1
    "While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die."

Turbo timers aren't necessary on our cars. Better off not even putting it in and selling it to use the cash elsewhere.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Guess who has the day off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Turbo timers aren't necessary on our cars. Better off not even putting it in and selling it to use the cash elsewhere.
    +gospel

Do not put a worthless mod on your car. Sell that to someone who has a car that will actually benefit from it. You will be adding a small amount of weight to your car and futzing with the electrical system for no reason what-so-ever other than wanting to feel like you have made a worthwhile change to your vehicle. This feeling would be false and you would be looked down upon by your fellow Subaru bretheren.

Furthermore - at worst Turbo Timers are either a waste of money, or a half assed mod at best. For any car that could legitimately use a Turbo Timer, a Remote Start or alarm with Remote Start is a better purchase.

Proper procedure would be to engage the parking brake in Park or out of gear with a MT, turn on the remote start (typically both buttons on an alarm system), and remove the key from the ignition while the car is still running. Then exit the car, lock the vehicle/arm the alarm, and use the remote to turn off the engine by killing the remote start. Reverse the procedure for warming the car up in Winter. If you go this route make sure you trust your parking brake, and your friends. Only takes a few people to lift the rear of a car and walk it across a parking lot into the woods. I learned all of this about 10 years ago when I had a 5-speed Cherokee and worked at Circuit City.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Do not put a worthless mod on your car. Sell that to someone who has a car that will actually benefit from it. You will be adding a small amount of weight to your car and futzing with the electrical system for no reason what-so-ever other than wanting to feel like you have made a worthwhile change to your vehicle. This feeling would be false and you would be looked down upon by your fellow Subaru bretheren.

Furthermore - at worst Turbo Timers are either a waste of money, or a half assed mod at best. For any car that could legitimately use a Turbo Timer, a Remote Start or alarm with Remote Start is a better purchase.

Proper procedure would be to engage the parking brake in Park or out of gear with a MT, turn on the remote start (typically both buttons on an alarm system), and remove the key from the ignition while the car is still running. Then exit the car, lock the vehicle/arm the alarm, and use the remote to turn off the engine by killing the remote start. Reverse the procedure for warming the car up in Winter. If you go this route make sure you trust your parking brake, and your friends. Only takes a few people to lift the rear of a car and walk it across a parking lot into the woods. I learned all of this about 10 years ago when I had a 5-speed Cherokee and worked at Circuit City.
    ^^ Sticky worthy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

watch?v=D_oLKupaubo

I'M BACK!
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

I'M BACK!
    The world just got a whole lot scarier...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I'M BACK!
    You are like the forum enforcer...ha! Welcome back!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    I'M BACK!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    + a bajillion

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.