Need advice on previously gutted trunk...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need advice on previously gutted trunk... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so I have spent countless hours on here, NASOIC and a few other sites trying to figure out ...

Need advice on previously gutted trunk...

Hey guys so I have spent countless hours on here, NASOIC and a few other sites trying to figure out what to do with this trunk that was previously gutted before i bought it. Even though the carfax says otherwise I would swear the car was rear ended and quite possibly the reason for nothing being in the trunk. Or its also possible that the leaks in the taillight gaskets where water poured in ruined all the trunk stuff and they simply tore it out. REGARDLESS, I am looking at this:

So yesterday I got in a great debate with my dad over the proper response to the trunk. For me, I really don't care about this current setup, I have my tools, my disk golf disks, a spare tire, etc. and the road noise doesn't bother me too much. HOWEVER, the idea of it being totally quiet and looking better is cool too. Anywho, I have been debating on just buying eDead V3 and painting the trunk/doors/etc, but my dad argued that it would be cheaper and better looking to buy everything necessary to return it to stock. My issue is that I am struggling to find all the stuff I would need like the matt that would cover the metal, the board that would cover the spare, the carpet that would cover the board and then liners for the sides and the trunk anchors . While the latter sounds much more attractive and possibly more functional, I am just missing pieces of info and a grand idea of total cost. So for you wrx guru's I would love to know if yall can shed any light on this issue for me. Thanks a million in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can only trust Carfax for what it DOES say. It will often leave things out. I had an accident in my old 911 that my insurance company paid a $30,000 claim on and it never showed up on Carfax.

As for the trunk, I know from parting out my STi and selling all of the interior trunk pieces that you should expect to pay a few hundred for all of the parts. Contact a local junkyard to see if they have a wrecked WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You can only trust Carfax for what it DOES say. It will often leave things out. I had an accident in my old 911 that my insurance company paid a $30,000 claim on and it never showed up on Carfax.

As for the trunk, I know from parting out my STi and selling all of the interior trunk pieces that you should expect to pay a few hundred for all of the parts. Contact a local junkyard to see if they have a wrecked WRX.
    yup yup, i know b/c my old honda was rear ended a butt ton of times and it NEVER showed up on the carfax

buuut yeah, i check the local junkyard inventories every few weeks or so, no dice. Only a couple old subbies anywhere near me

I posted this up on my old accord forum and they are listing some ideas on actual parts and what not but i figured with you guys knowing these cars so well yall would have a bit more specific information

Why not just call a dealer and order the parts? It may cost a little more but you may be surprised. On many occasions I've called junkyards about things and found the new parts to be cheaper than buying used

if your car got hit before you bought it, there is really no reason for all the trunk interior trim to be missing. you would be able to tell if they replaced the rear body panel or the floor by how the weld marks look. when a car is built at the factory, they use robots to do the spot welding on the unibody and most of the other welded panels, and they look super clean like little dimples all along the weld lines. if any of the welded panels were repalced, the spot welds would not be there anymore b/c a body shop cannot re-create those robotic welds.

i have a feeling that this is not the case with your car. i think something flooded the trunk and they just ripped out all the funky interior trim and never replaced it.

there are 4 parts that you need, the spare tire cover, rear carpet, and side trim panels. all new, this will probably cost you at least $400. however, you can do some of this yourself if you are at all technically inclined. for the spare tire cover, you can purchase a piece of thin particle board from home depot, and cut it to fit using either a jigsaw if you have one or a hand saw. the carpet that covers the rest of the trunk can also be purchased at home depot, its just thin all purpose carpet, which you can just use a heavy duty pair of scissors to cut.

the only parts you may HAVE to buy are the side trim panels, which are made of a molded flexible plastic that you will not be able to create yourself.

good luck, and it will look much better once you finish.
    Last edited by dbya rx; 11-18-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Well I decided to go with the eDead b/c at the end of the day, I could really care less about the looks of the trunk, far more important to me was the functionality of it, which I get to keep with the eDead. I mean to snap a pic after all my stuff was put back in but i forgot, anyway, i thought it turned out great and it was definitely quieter afterward. What blew my mind was driving around with no backseats and an empty trunk, haaaa, geeeez the whine of the fuel pump, the sound of itty bitty gravel hitting the wheel wells, twas wild. Anywho, im glad she is put back together now and QUIET =D

Im going to go back and put another layer on the doors and on the door cards.

How much did the coating cost you and where did you get it? I've been looking to do something like this in my 2010.
    Last edited by mangostick; 01-05-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    How much did the coating cost you and where did you get it? I've been looking to do something like this in my 2010 but replace all the panels after its finished.
    It was 50bucks...well, 62 with shipping I think.
    Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics

I think when it warms up I am going to do a couple more coats, this cold weather es no bueno for this job. They recommend at least temps in the 50s, which it was when i started, buuuuuut i definitely had to use a heat gun in the end. Really the only road noise i am hearing now is coming from the front, buuuuut I have yet to figure out what to do about the front wheel wells...

Nice.. link bookmarked! I can use that stuff for quite a few of the projects I've got kickin around. Thanks man!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Aw for sure dude! What projects you talking about???

I think come spring I am going to hook up a back up cam to my new x920bt and when I do I might pull the carpet and put this stuff down up front.

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like a coating in this and a couple small MDF squares on large panels to help with resonance would really trump most sound deadening methods I've seen. I like the idea of just painting it on and being done with it. Good find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

^^^Yeah I read about a lot of guys using eDead or dynamat squares first and then using this stuff to paint over it. Most of these guys are running huge stereos and claim monumental results.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeee View Post
    Aw for sure dude! What projects you talking about???

I think come spring I am going to hook up a back up cam to my new x920bt and when I do I might pull the carpet and put this stuff down up front.
    First project is to coat the entire floor area of my wrx in it... likely anywhere else I can easily pop the panels off to get at sheet metal I was planning on using dynamat but if this stuff works just as well I'd rather paint it on let dry and be done with it.

I'm also building a pair of subs for my living room, this will work nicely to coat the inside of the enclosures before the poly fill goes in. Even though they're small with out any really long panels (sealed enclosure, plate amp and 8" woofer in each) coating the inside to bring resonance down is very important. I want to feel the effects without hearing buzzing boxes

I'm sure I'll be able to find other uses too. How long did it take to dry?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

First project is to coat the entire floor area of my wrx in it... likely anywhere else I can easily pop the panels off to get at sheet metal
    WORD. yeah dude i was amazed at how little of this stuff I used. I had read that a gallon was enough to do roughly the whole trunk and then the front door cards, buuuut I seriously did all that, the little space where the back seats are and still have roughly a half gallon left. NUTSO!

How long did it take to dry?
    Dried pretty quick and that was with temps in the 50's. BUUUUUUT, they recommend the temps be AT LEAST in the 50's, I won't do this again until spring time b/c of that. There were a couple places in the trunk that didn't dry fully and the next day when I put a towel on it to 'dry it off' the stuff came right off. It just never set. Anywho, i put on another couple coats, used the heat gun and she is golden. The tutorial video they have on their site says that there in Arizona with temps in the 90's its ready for another coat in 5-15min and dried completely in 30-60min.

I Support ClubWRX
    First project is to coat the entire floor area of my wrx in it... likely anywhere else I can easily pop the panels off to get at sheet metal I was planning on using dynamat but if this stuff works just as well I'd rather paint it on let dry and be done with it.
    I would still look into some MDF or whatever it is squares. I found a site that sells 8"x4" or so rectangles of the stuff. Its the main component in dynamat. You use them just to add some mass to the larger panels in the center to prevent resonance. This stuff I'm sure is more of a sound blocker, which you should use in supplement to 'resonance damping'. No need to cover panels in MDF, just stick a patch of it in the middle of the panel. I haven't tried out this new stuff, just some food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.