Cracking the Cluster: DIY V1 Remote & Tachometer 'delete'
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cracking the Cluster: DIY V1 Remote & Tachometer 'delete' within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Short Story Booyah. Deleted the tachometer/markings, painted over all 'on' lights that come with swapping the STi cluster into a ...

Cracking the Cluster: DIY V1 Remote & Tachometer 'delete'

Short Story

Booyah. Deleted the tachometer/markings, painted over all 'on' lights that come with swapping the STi cluster into a bugeye, and put a V1 remote display where the outside air temp gauge is.

Link to Video...

Long Story

So I decided to bite the bullet and crack open my 2004 STi cluster that has been malfunctioning for quite some time now.

The problem:

1. My tachometer was virtually useless
    2. I had a V1 remote mount and wanted to truly hide it away from the, ahem, authorities

Link to video...

The solution:

Bite the bullet and crack the case..

First, I tackled the V1 remote mount..

double sided tape ftw

mounted!

Now.. onto the tach..

It took a little bit of prying and some careful force to lift the needle away from the potometer 'pin', and after lifting the middle overlay out, you see the LEDs and marvel in their tiny square beauty

Then you smother them in tape, muhahaha..

After peeling off the tach needle and beginning to paint the inside tachometer overlay...

Who needs a tach?

Last edited by Tenament; 11-17-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty clean install, but I'd have left the tach anyway (assuming it worked).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd take the tach over the speedometer.

Pretty cool with the V1 display, but IMO if you were going to go through all that to cover it up, why not try to fix it? I'm not trying to rag on you, it looks good, but personally I would've tried to fix it before I covered it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I'd take the tach over the speedometer.
    I can listen to the engine and tell where the RPM load is. I can also calculate how fast I'm going by what RPM I am in in what gear, but when my tachometer is broken, I can't really do that very well haha.

Okay so here's my reasoning behind my tachometer delete:

I had taken apart and put back together the tach needle and pot (the thing with wires in the back) three or four times, and it just wouldn't work correctly. If you watch my faulty tach video above, you will see on calibration it doesn't track right.

Now you will also see in the video it had dropped down to where the tach should be, right around 0-500rpms. Now it did not do that all the time, most of the time it would end its calibration sequence at 5-6k rpms and consider that its 'baseline' 0rpm table. Does that make sense?

In short, the tach just straight up doesn't work. I either need a new potometer or something else needs to happen for the thing to work. I still have the needle and pot, I just took them out in the meantime.

$90 cluster... why not
    Northern Lights Customs

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Yea your reasoning behind it makes total sense. I couldn't watch the videos while at work, so I didn't really know why they weren't working or what's going on.

Maybe you should eventually try to turn the tach into some other guage.

I know with BMWs there's programs/mods to make the mpg guage into a boost guage for turbo'd cars. Something like that would be bad-ass for you to do.

I really wanted the tach to work. Trust me, I reallly wanted to say I got a ver 8 STi cluster, in my desired year (2004), for $90 with nothing wrong with it. Truth be told when I cracked into the cluster the guy before me had already put tape over much of the bottom row (I/C spray, Diff temp light etc)... I just finished up covering the DCCD and the DRLs...

But I just couldn't stand that cluster not working properly. I did this all last night buzzed and not exactly sure how it would work out.

As a little note for anyone who was interested in prying open these clusters: Don't be afraid to touch the needles. Play with the needles. Pull on the needles. Pop them out and in. They will STILL WORK, given you haven't disconnected anything or broken anything. They are made to come on and off. That was one of the myths I thought was true about these, was that the calibration was very finicky and that you shouldn't even attempt to crack this case open.
    Northern Lights Customs

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Sometimes, when you're drunk/bored you just gotta play with your needle.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tenament View Post
    As a little note for anyone who was interested in prying open these clusters: Don't be afraid to touch the needles. Play with the needles. Pull on the needles. Pop them out and in. They will STILL WORK, given you haven't disconnected anything or broken anything. They are made to come on and off. That was one of the myths I thought was true about these, was that the calibration was very finicky and that you shouldn't even attempt to crack this case open.
    I've taken several clusters apart, removed the needles, and re-assembled them (96 Grand Am, 99 Cavalier, 90 Civic). With some luck and practice the needles will line up properly.

There is no way to re-assemble a 2005 WRX (USDM, MT) gauge cluster after removing the needles.
    There is no way to remove the needles without breaking something that holds the needle in place (the motor).
    Yes, they can be moved around (in the direction they normally move), but don't try to pull on them.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 11-17-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Very sorry! I forgot to mention this is for the 2004 cluster.

the 2005+ is a different beast I've heard.
    Northern Lights Customs

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.