Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why?

This is a discussion on Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I use a Sansa Fuze mp3 player and am trying to use the Aux input in the console. It works, ...

Question Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why?

I use a Sansa Fuze mp3 player and am trying to use the Aux input in the console. It works, but with one annoying bug.

I have to crank the head unit to the max volume of 40 and crank my Fuze up very loud to hear anything from the stereo. Then if I try to increase my volume with the Fuze even more, the stereo "skips" during playback and cuts out like it is being overloaded or something.

It almost seems like I need a small headphone amp or something to boost the signal from my Fuze so the signal is stronger and I don't have to max the stereo just to hear.

I suppose it could be my 1/8" cable because it is just a cheap 3 footer.

Is anyone else having similar experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This sounds like an impedance mismatch. If the aux input on the car's head unit is expecting a line level input, that is typically over 200Ω and can reach to several 1000Ω, whereas typical headphone output -- I'm not familiar with your device but am thinking you are using the headphone output -- can be 100Ω or less. The voltage output may be insufficient also; I know that some Apple devices are around 2V whereas some domestic audio devices reach twice that on their outputs, for example.

If you can use a proper line out from your source device, try that and not headphone output.

ED: Since players do this because they are relying on batteries, I wonder if powering the player would improve your situation. I doubt it, but it'd be clever if the maker made this provision.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-05-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'll bet you are right. Yes, I am using a headphone output since it is the only one on the player. I didn't even that about impedance.

Now that I think about it, I have the same problem when I run the player through my home stereo too. I have to really crank the volume on the stereo and player to get any significant volume. It must be from the reduced output intended for headphones.

Alternatively, I tried using the power/audio cable running from the player through the USB port in the console. Unfortunately, the player switches to a "connection" mode that is for data transfer only. It acts like when I have it connected to my PC to load songs. So I can't get audio output from it to the stereo.

Looks like I need to find a DC powered mini-amp or something to increase my output prior to the aux input.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check again online with other users of that player, maybe it has a setting via USB or something else. You can't be the first person with this problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I found some similar threads in the Sansa Fuze forums. One possible solution seems to be this "Line Out" dock that converts the data port to a 1/8" stereo plug for better signal output.
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L6-Line-C...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

I plan to order since the price is reasonable. Thanks for the suggestions.