Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I use a Sansa Fuze mp3 player and am trying to use the Aux input in the console. It works, ...

Question Aux Input for 2011 WRX is too quite, why?

I use a Sansa Fuze mp3 player and am trying to use the Aux input in the console. It works, but with one annoying bug.

I have to crank the head unit to the max volume of 40 and crank my Fuze up very loud to hear anything from the stereo. Then if I try to increase my volume with the Fuze even more, the stereo "skips" during playback and cuts out like it is being overloaded or something.

It almost seems like I need a small headphone amp or something to boost the signal from my Fuze so the signal is stronger and I don't have to max the stereo just to hear.

I suppose it could be my 1/8" cable because it is just a cheap 3 footer.

Is anyone else having similar experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This sounds like an impedance mismatch. If the aux input on the car's head unit is expecting a line level input, that is typically over 200Ω and can reach to several 1000Ω, whereas typical headphone output -- I'm not familiar with your device but am thinking you are using the headphone output -- can be 100Ω or less. The voltage output may be insufficient also; I know that some Apple devices are around 2V whereas some domestic audio devices reach twice that on their outputs, for example.

If you can use a proper line out from your source device, try that and not headphone output.

ED: Since players do this because they are relying on batteries, I wonder if powering the player would improve your situation. I doubt it, but it'd be clever if the maker made this provision.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-05-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'll bet you are right. Yes, I am using a headphone output since it is the only one on the player. I didn't even that about impedance.

Now that I think about it, I have the same problem when I run the player through my home stereo too. I have to really crank the volume on the stereo and player to get any significant volume. It must be from the reduced output intended for headphones.

Alternatively, I tried using the power/audio cable running from the player through the USB port in the console. Unfortunately, the player switches to a "connection" mode that is for data transfer only. It acts like when I have it connected to my PC to load songs. So I can't get audio output from it to the stereo.

Looks like I need to find a DC powered mini-amp or something to increase my output prior to the aux input.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check again online with other users of that player, maybe it has a setting via USB or something else. You can't be the first person with this problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I found some similar threads in the Sansa Fuze forums. One possible solution seems to be this "Line Out" dock that converts the data port to a 1/8" stereo plug for better signal output.
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L6-Line-C...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

I plan to order since the price is reasonable. Thanks for the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.