Gauges?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gauges?!? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys got an 05 WRX, going to get some gauges but want to get some opinions on what is ...

Gauges?!?

hey guys got an 05 WRX, going to get some gauges but want to get some opinions on what is the most useful. I know the boost gauge is a must but what else..I'm getting 3. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't have mods you don't need any gauges.

If you do have mods you can consider a clock, a boost gauge, and an EGT.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Boost, clock, egt
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no "right" gauges to have; it all depends on what you want to monitor. That being said, the most common gauges for a 3-pod setup are:
    Boost
    EGT/WBO2
    Oil Temp/Pressure

I personally prefer oil temperature over pressure simply because many of the pressure-related failures tend to happen all of a sudden and by the time you realize, you've lost the motor. Case in point, the overly-common oil pickup tube failure.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-30-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

at the moment only have a downpipe and hks hi power exhaust..eventually want to get an up-pipe & a tune..any suggestions on what to do? don't have to much $ at the moment. anything simple but effective?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd put priority on a map, and you will need a boost gauge.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

sorry kind of new to all this. what do you mean by priority on a map?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xchristhompsonx
    sorry kind of new to all this. what do you mean by priority on a map?
    You need a tune to safely run a downpipe on your car. You need to replace the aftermarket downpipe with a factory one or get a tune.

UNYSOC

ouch. never heard that before..thought it was ok, I was told once I get an up pipe I would have to get a tune.

I was looking at a package on eBay that comes with the gauge pod that I want and an option of 3 gauges from below, but I don't see an EGT. would these be ok or any recommendations? (comes with the pod and 3 gauges for 112.99 + s&h)

-Boost / Vacuum Gauge

Reads: -30inHG to +30PSI

-Volt Gauge

Reads: 8 to 18 Volts

-Air / Fuel Gauge

Reads: Lean to Rich

-Oil Temp. Gauge

Reads: 120 to 300 F

-Oil Pressure Gauge

-Water Temp. Gauge

-Vacuum Gauge

-Tachometer Gauge
    Reads 0-10,000 RPM

-Trans Temp. Gauge

Reads: 120 to 300 F

-Fuel Pressure Gauge

Reads: 0 to 100 PSI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xchristhompsonx
    I was looking at a package on eBay that comes with the gauge pod that I want and an option of 3 gauges from below, but I don't see an EGT. would these be ok or any recommendations? (comes with the pod and 3 gauges for 112.99 + s&h)
    You get what you pay for with gauges, and an inaccurate gauge is worse than no gauge at all. For what it's worth, my boost, EGT, and oil temp gauges plus pod cost me ~$650 new.

If that's about what you're looking to spend, just up your budget to the $150+ range and get a boost gauge (you can get a Defi boost gauge like mine for ~$180 including a nice pod). Other options would be to buy a Greddy, Omori, or Blitz gauge for about the same price.

UNYSOC

ya makes sense, just new to this and impatient I guess aha. but thanks for the advice man appreciate it.

hey what kind of clock guage cluster do you have? i want to do the same. i like how small it is when no top over hanging lip. is it the same material as dash? those are defi right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4drivin
    hey what kind of clock guage cluster do you have? i want to do the same. i like how small it is when no top over hanging lip. is it the same material as dash? those are defi right?
    If you're referring to lytlec's post, it looks like the Autometer pod with Prosport gauges.

The "hood" on my ATI pod helps make it easier to read the gauges in the daylight. I never have an issue reading my gauges, even when dimmed due to my lights being on. As for how tall mine is, from the drivers seat, I still see the hood scoop over it.

UNYSOC

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    If I had to pick 3.... boost..... oil pressure..... and voltmeter.

No one ever says voltmeter, and I actually montor that thing constantly.

Once you get more into tuning and monitoring more complex parameters.... then I would say EGT, Wideband A/F, and fuel pressure.

do NOT get the pod that doesn't have an overhang... the reflection is on the windshield at night.... and it's irritating.

Last but not least.... DO NOT buy glowshift gauges. Save up and do it right.... or don't do it at all.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.