2011 WRX Car starter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Car starter within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i live in one of the coldest places in canada and really need a car starter. I can't ...

2011 WRX Car starter

Hey guys i live in one of the coldest places in canada and really need a car starter. I can't seem to pick one, everyone here seems to have compustart, which is nice, but i want to be able to get a turbo cooler, in other words i can leave the car and it will turn off after a set amount of time, allowing the turbo to cool down, as im told by subaru friends here that its a must to extend turbo life. I don't care for the alarm but I suppose most starters come with it. any suggestions on brands and models to use on this new 2011 wrx?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't need a timer for the 2011. They'll cool just fine without it. It's water cooled I believe, not oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153 View Post
    but i want to be able to get a turbo cooler, in other words i can leave the car and it will turn off after a set amount of time, allowing the turbo to cool down, as im told by subaru friends here that its a must to extend turbo life.
    There is no indication you need this at all. I recommend not worrying about this. Get whatever you need to start the car when it's very cold and don't worry about cooling the turbo down, it's designed to last.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

our turbo's are oil and water cooled, so unlike oil cooled the engine doesn't need to be running to continue cooling the turbo. Older turbo's benefitted from a timer, ours do not however

The two remote start alarms I've purchased both came with turbo timer options built in. The cheaper FOX branded alarm (ebay) used the turbo timer option as a secondary safe guard to verify the car (when used on a manual and alarm set to manual trans) was in neutral to permit safe remote start.
    The Clifford 50.5X (same as the viper, different coloring..) has a "short-run/turbo" setting that lets you run the car for 1,3,5 or 10mins to "cool" the car down...

Either way a remote start is great option as you stated, a Directed brand alarm is just as good as a CompuStar as long as the install is good and a few extra sensors always help... Cheaper remote starts aren't bad but if issues develop it's alot harder to get help from a manufacturer...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Do NOT install a remote starter. My buddy had one, and he swore that he never left the car in gear. This was true, for the most part (two years without an issue), but it only takes one...

One day, he was parked on a decline, left his car in first and used the remote starter. After $15,000 of property damage and his car 10 feet below the surface of a lake, he realized his mistake.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    To my knowledge the newer remote starters work only if the car is in neutral,so logically if your car is on an incline you would leave it in gear & then the starter would not work.Also check to see if your starter works with manual transmission.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Do NOT install a remote starter. My buddy had one, and he swore that he never left the car in gear. This was true, for the most part (two years without an issue), but it only takes one...

One day, he was parked on a decline, left his car in first and used the remote starter. After $15,000 of property damage and his car 10 feet below the surface of a lake, he realized his mistake.
    Same thing I would say. There is a work around for it. I know some guys that do the installs on manuals and they found a way to put a contact in on the shifter for first gear that will turn not allow the starter to work. Don't ask me how they did it exactly, I only saw them do it once, but supposedly it worked. I'd still never do it though because I ALWAYS leave my stick in gear and don't want to have to worry about trying to change it. Old habits die hard and w/o it so would my car.

Skip the remote start and keep the heated seats on high!
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

The manufacturers state right on the boxes for remote starts that they "are NOT to be used with manual transmission". Usually if they something should absolutely not be done, it's for good reason

I Support ClubWRX
    This is the link to the latest remote starter from DEI,the Python 580,in the features it specifically states "MANUAL TRANSMISSION MODE".I believe there is an exit procedure you have to perform each time you leave the car or it will not remote start.Granted you will have to remember to leave the car in Neutral,but for someone who has OCD like me that shouldnt be a problem.

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=621
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Who ever was talking about leaving there car in gear and starting it, I highly doubt im that stupid, Why didnt he even pull the E-brake before leaving?

My friend already have compustart for his 2010 CSX type S, also a standard. You can get starts made for manuals, it's exactly as Rage says, there is a procedure you must do before it works, if you turn the car off a certain way, or you leave it in gear, or what not, the car starter will not work. I was trying to ask what people use, but im getting weither or not to get one.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153 View Post
    Who ever was talking about leaving there car in gear and starting it, I highly doubt im that stupid, Why didnt he even pull the E-brake before leaving?
    You've never left your car in gear? In fact, most manual drivers will TELL you to leave the car in gear that way if the E-brake fails, your car doesn't go into the lake. There's a reason an automatic car is in "Park" and not in "Neutral"

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You've never left your car in gear? In fact, most manual drivers will TELL you to leave the car in gear that way if the E-brake fails, your car doesn't go into the lake. There's a reason an automatic car is in "Park" and not in "Neutral"
    I just park my car IN the lake, then it has nowhere to go

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    I just park my car IN the lake, then it has nowhere to go
    Following closely in Drews' footsteps

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast