Quick question about Shift knobs

This is a discussion on Quick question about Shift knobs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I recently just picked up my first subaru!! And I've been planning to get a custom shift knob ...

Quick question about Shift knobs

Hi all,

I recently just picked up my first subaru!! And I've been planning to get a custom shift knob some day. But here's my quick question:

Can I just go out and buy any shift knob and put it on? Or do I have to search for those that are compatible with the 2011 WRX? Are there different sizes / diameter / parameter that I need to look for?

Thanks!!
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you have to get one w/ the same thread size.

its 12x1.25 for older wrx's.. not so sure about the new ones.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

You might want to consider some simple things too like a metal knob will get too hot too touch if left in the sun. You do want some weight to it for the feel though, so a metal core with composite outside is a good compromise. You should see if you can try out the shape before buying it too. Some things that seem like a good idea don't feel right in person.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Got it. Thanks to all of your inputs. Really appreciate them.

Yes, I'm not planning to get full-metal knobs as they tend to get too hot from time to time.

It's great to know that thread size matters... I'll be sure to ask before buying anything.

Thanks again for the info!!
    2011 Subaru WRX 5-Door
    2008 Mazda RX-8 GT

I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of them are made to be universal and have screws on the sides that dig into the lever to hold them on. Personally I would get one that screws on to the threads like the stock unit. That's why I got the Momo knob from Subaru, designed specifically for the car, and the air leather matches my steering wheel perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by msharp View Post
    Hi all,

I recently just picked up my first subaru!! And I've been planning to get a custom shift knob some day. But here's my quick question:

Can I just go out and buy any shift knob and put it on? Or do I have to search for those that are compatible with the 2011 WRX? Are there different sizes / diameter / parameter that I need to look for?

Thanks!!

Anything with matching threads as long as it's not a skull!