remote start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on remote start within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone have an aftermarket remote start on their WRX?I would like to know if remote start can be installed ...

I Support ClubWRX

remote start

Does anyone have an aftermarket remote start on their WRX?I would like to know if remote start can be installed in a manual transmission car?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My buddys worked at the installation in best buy... they can be installed on a manual. The only problem is that the car has to be in neutral for it to work though. I would reccomend have a professional do it for you because it is not a good idea to install that kinda thing because of messing up all the ignition haha
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Worst idea ever. Just do a Google search and read all the info about people that did it and ended having the car drive itself into something.

Get ready for a very bad day if you do it, because putting one in a manual makes it just a question of WHEN it's going to happen, not IF it's going to happen.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

exactly... the remote start keeps trying to start over and over again... think about it "jumping" slightly til it hits something...
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Worst idea ever. Just do a Google search and read all the info about people that did it and ended having the car drive itself into something.

Get ready for a very bad day if you do it, because putting one in a manual makes it just a question of WHEN it's going to happen, not IF it's going to happen.
    If you use a starter designed for manual transmission, and it is installed by someone who knows what they are doing, this CANNOT happen.

The way these work is, for the autostart to operate you need to put the car in reservation mode before you get out. You park, leave the car in neutral, set the parking brake and remove the key. The engine will keep running. You then get out and shut the door. When the door closes the engine shuts off and the alarm/starter locks the doors and arms. It is now in "reservation mode". Only after doing this will the car attempt to remote start. If any of the doors are opened the car will no longer be in reservation mode and will NOT remote start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanans View Post
    If you use a starter designed for manual transmission, and it is installed by someone who knows what they are doing, this CANNOT happen.

The way these work is, for the autostart to operate you need to put the car in reservation mode before you get out. You park, leave the car in neutral, set the parking brake and remove the key. The engine will keep running. You then get out and shut the door. When the door closes the engine shuts off and the alarm/starter locks the doors and arms. It is now in "reservation mode". Only after doing this will the car attempt to remote start. If any of the doors are opened the car will no longer be in reservation mode and will NOT remote start.
    And how many people are going to always go through those steps? Not many...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

And how many people are going to always go through those steps? Not many...
    You're missing the point... if you don't go through these steps the remote starter WILL NOT remote start. And what steps... put on the parking brake, remove key and get out of car. Don't you do this every time you park?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

+1

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Do NOT install a remote starter. My buddy had one, and he swore that he never left the car in gear. This was true, for the most part (two years without an issue), but it only takes one...

One day, he was parked on a decline, left his car in first and used the remote starter. After $15,000 of property damage and his car 10 feet below the surface of a lake, he realized his mistake.

Oh and BTW... his remote starter was "designed" for a manual.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I had Circuit City install my Python alarm which had an auto-start feature with it. Due to liability reasons, they installed the alarm, but not the auto-start. My friend and I installed the auto-start ourselves. We wired the module to only start if the following are true: Car is in neutral and hand brake is engaged. I've had it for 5 years, and it's worked like a charm ever since with no accidents.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

i have a viper remote start on my 02 wrx and just like it has already been said if you get it installed correctly your car will not start without proper steps to make sure your car in not in gear.I mean if you think going through the steps is a hassle, dont buy one but if you are interested in getting one yes it is possible and works flawlessly mine will even tell me the temp on the inside of my car from my remote i love it

remote startes are the nuts if installed properly.....

The subi has a neutral ground wire coming out of the ECU on the manuals that allows for safe remote starting, see THIS post...

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR Customs View Post
    The subi has a neutral ground wire coming out of the ECU on the manuals that allows for safe remote starting, see THIS post...
    Most excellent! Good info.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

I have had remote start on my manual tranny cars since 2002 and never had a problem. I just had a Compustar remote start installed on my 2011 WRX and it works great. Like KANANS said it won't start unless you do the proper steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanans View Post
    You're missing the point... if you don't go through these steps the remote starter WILL NOT remote start. And what steps... put on the parking brake, remove key and get out of car. Don't you do this every time you park?
    LOL

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.