WC Lathe Werks SS STI Sphere Shift Knob - Review
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WC Lathe Werks SS STI Sphere Shift Knob - Review within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I can describe this knob with one word: PERFECT. I'm -extremely- particular when it comes to certain things and my ...

Vez

WC Lathe Werks SS STI Sphere Shift Knob - Review

I can describe this knob with one word: PERFECT. I'm -extremely- particular when it comes to certain things and my shift knob is one of them. I've been looking for the perfect knob for about 2 years and found some to come close, but weren't perfect.

The Aesthetics: The knob is flawless in appearance. I was origionally a little concerned that the finish was so black that it had a purple hue as seen in the picture on the website. I decided this was acceptable and the black I was looking for simply didn't exist. This was not the case. The black chrome is such a deep black that it practcally absorbs light. What I thought was a pipedream was realized in this knob.

The Feel: After trying differnt shaped knobs, including spheres, I decided I wanted more of a piston design...until I tried a copolymer sphere (borrowed from a friend) made by WC Lathe Werks. I LOVED it... which really surprised me. However, I wanted a heavy knob like the SS one. The weight just feels right. Maybe it's just me, but with the added weight, I feel more connected and sensative to my shifts.

The Craftsmanship: Again, flawless. I spun the knob on the shifter and it practically threaded itself. The sphere is perfect and the edges around the hole are solid. You can tell that great care was put into the manufacturing of the knob.

Customer Service: Chris was great. He was not only very professional, but was personable as well. I felt like he did everything right...communication, honesty, and follow-through.

I would give this knob a 10 out of 10 and HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to my friends. The copolymer knob of his was also outstanding. Personally, I don't think you can get a shift knob of higher quality.

Last edited by Vez; 09-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice review... got pics?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Vez
    Thanks. Pics... I'm a slacker. I'll try and take some tonight.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    I can describe this knob with one word: PERFECT. I'm -extremely- particular when it comes to certain things and my knob is one of them. I've been looking for the perfect knob for about 2 years and found some to come close, but weren't perfect.

The Aesthetics: The knob is flawless in appearance. I was origionally a little concerned that the finish was so black that it had a purple hue as seen in the picture on the website. I decided this was acceptable and the black I was looking for simply didn't exist. This was not the case. The black chrome is such a deep black that it practcally absorbs light. What I thought was a pipedream was realized in this knob.

The Feel: After trying differnt shaped knobs, including spheres, I decided I wanted more of a piston design...until I tried a copolymer sphere (borrowed from a friend) made by WC Lathe Werks. I LOVED it... which really surprised me. However, I wanted a heavy knob like the SS one. The weight just feels right. Maybe it's just me, but with the added weight, I feel more connected and sensative to my shaft.

I would give this knob a 10 out of 10 and HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to my friends. The copolymer knob of his was also outstanding. Personally, I don't think you can get a shift knob of higher quality.
    I feel dirty now

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    I've been looking for the perfect knob for about 2 years and found some to come close, but weren't perfect.

In all honesty, I have come to love the feel of my WC Lathe Werks knob in my hand.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

In all honesty, I have come to love the feel of my Bill the Sasquatch knob in my hand.
    we know, we know

Quote Originally Posted by Trainfriendlyrex View Post
    we know, we know
    Funny thing about that is I feel his knob is too large and uncomfortable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Funny thing about that is I feel his knob is too large and uncomfortable.
    For you??!!!?

You could smuggle bowling balls through the airport if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainfriendlyrex View Post
    For you??!!!?

You could smuggle bowling balls through the airport if you wanted to.
    That's what I'm sayin'. It's the largest knob I've felt.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's what I'm sayin'. It's the largest knob I've felt.
    Oh...ok. That makes more sense.

Good review. I've been heavily debating a WC Lathe Works shift knob lately. Although your review was well written, it lacks pictures, so I hope you get herpes on your herpes dog.

Edit: Seriously though, good review, but needs a pic or two.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post

Edit: Seriously though, good review, but needs a pic or two.
    Oh, and please only pics from Vez, not WRX Wagonski

Vez
    I added pics, but I couldn't get the lighting right so none of them turned out well....sorry. :P The color of the knob is a deep black, all over, underneath, the bevel aroud the opening, as well and where it's threaded. The reflections and light in the pics AREN'T a very good representation of the color except the one that's too dark.

Yes, I wrote about my knob. I mean, it feels so good I just wanted everyone to know how incredible my knob is. Sure, there are those that know, that have seen it in person....felt it for themselves. Alas, my methods just don't expose enough people to the goodness that is my knob, hence the write up.

Last edited by Vez; 09-25-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    im actually just about to order a shift knob from them for my wrx. Good to hear it is a solid product. My knob is not going to be quite as heavy though and it will have grooves all around. Ya thats right.....texture on the knob is the key
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast